Join now - be part of our community!

Help with speaker wiring

Bigroyale
New

Help with speaker wiring

hey there I have bought a sony entertainment system and moved into a place which already has speaker wires in the walls from the last owner. Was hoping I could use the wires to wire this entertainment system up. The only thing is the speaker cables are just wires coming out the wall and the cables that sony provide have connectors at the end. My question is ... Is this possible to cut the wire provided and attach the connecters to the wires in the walls? 

Are there people who does this thing for a job who I can call out to do it?

Help two useless females need assistance! X

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

Yes it is possible to do this yourself however you will need to observe the polarity of the wires making sure you connect the plugs to the correct wires. Whether you should be doing this is a different question, it's possible you may invalidate your warranty if you start cutting wires.

That said if you're confident to do this yourself or know someone who can it's a relatively simple job. If you live in the UK places like Richer Sounds have an installation service though whether they'll entertain working on something you've already purchase I couldn't say for sure. They do charge so if you know a man who can that might be an option.

One question: regarding the wires protruding from the walls, is each wire in the pair the same colour or is one a different colour? Perhaps one of them even has a stripe running along it?

Let me know what you find and I'll do my best to guide you with some pictures.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14