Lip sync problem HT-MT500

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

Lip sync problem HT-MT500

Hi all,

Sony HT-MT500 sound bar, S/W m39.r.0106

Sony KD-498309C 4K TV, build 3.885

Having problems with lip sync while watching any source from the sound bar, it starts ok then it loses sync ( may be five minutes to three hours on time ). If I change the sound field it syncs ok, till the next out of sync, repeat above.

Connected devices.

Digital aerial

Virgin Tivo cable box

Blue Ray player

Sat tuner

Thanks

John

26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.GB.title
Rob1Gow
Explorer

I have just bought a HT-MT300 sound bar AND THERE IS AN AUDIO DELAY!  The only audio input is optical (no HDMI). Have contacted Sony tech help and no solution yet after resetting everything twice (and loosing all my personal preferences on th tv). For Quinnicus to say there have been no other reports he should just have a look at the US community!

DeNick_1
Explorer

I have the same problem with HT-MT300 - seems to take longer for audio to get to sound bar compared to video. Seems to be no means of adjustment. Same problem when using sky and blue ray player via HDMI to TV (both Sony products). Does Sony have a solution or do we all have to exchange for BOSE?!

profile.country.GB.title
Rob1Gow
Explorer

Hi
I reported this problem to Sony months ago, and since then they offered me a replacement TV (it was a Sony set), with no change to the problem.
I have read all sorts of seemingly knowledgeable stuff on the community site blaming the tv broadcasters: I was a broadcast television engineer working for the BBC snd others, and that is complete rubbish.
My background leads me to believe that the problem is engineered into the TV set, and not the sound bar; I think the received digital signal is decoded - this results in a video and digital audio signal. Instead of sending the digital audio to the sound bar, it is further decoded to analogue (so the tv speakers can radiate it), then is re-digitised to send it to the sound bar, then re-converted to analogue so we can hear it The delay caused by this unnecessary decode/encode is the problem.
The only solutions are:
Buy a £1000 Bose unit with variable delay
Feed the sound bar with audio direct from your BT Youview or Sky or whatever receiver via hdmi or optical.
Good luck
Bob
Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

The Bose doesn't have variable delay. I think it's both the Sony bar and the Sony tv that are causing it. I have no problems with the Bose since installling it, great sound bar and worth every penny.

I have had a similar problem with the HT-MT300 soundbar, using a recently purchased Samsung TV.

I've fixed it by connecting the soundbar directly to our Virgin TV box using optical cable. The Virgin V6 box has an optical socket at the back which you can use. 

profile.country.GB.title
Rob1Gow
Explorer

Hi fellow sufferer
I'm afraid you have also found the only solution to the sync problem, because Sony can't.
Unfortunately, since the soundbar has no HDMI input, getting a DVD/BlueRay player you will need to use the bluetooth input, and if you want to watch Freeview on your TV, you are stuffed, unless you use the 3.5mm jack input; the sound then may or may not be in sync.
So......best wishes
Bob

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
Snowdrop22
Explorer

Lip sync problem  on my HT-MT500 started  2nd week in October, that was  3 weeks ago at time of writing. I purchased it from J Lewis back in February 2018, have tried all recomended procedures to put it right, but to no avail. Will return it to shop for refund.