Join now - be part of our community!

Mastered in 4K video

bbear28
Explorer

Mastered in 4K video

I have just purchase a x900 4K TV (which is great) and an S790 Bluray player. I am trying to hook up my Marantz AV receiver but when I play the the Mastered in 4K disk through the system I loose the picture every few seconds! Am I right in thinking that this may be because the Marantz receiver has only HDCP ver 1.4 and not HDCP 2.2 which I think the TV and/or the bluray player is?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A quick search around gives : This.

Its not to do with HDCP > More to do with HDMI and its bandwidth

Basically, your receiver needs to be compatible with 4K and its not.

But that is not actually your problem - The Mastered in 4k blurays are actually 1080p.  There is actually very little true 4K content at the moment. 

Now your problem.  Its hard to know/advise without knowing the specs of your AV receiver.  But what I would do is:

• Check that your cables are proberly plugged in. 
  • Make sure that your HDMI cables are 1.4a (for higher bandwidth), dont use the cheap/nasty ones.
  • You could try reversing the order, as in BDP to TV to AV Receiver and see if that works.

Cheers

bbear28
Explorer

Many thanks for your response. The av receiver is a new Marantz 7007 which is supposed to be 4K compliant. I have played around with a number of high speed with ethernet HDMI cables (ie 1.4a) with no effect. You are indeed correct the 4K disks are not 4K, but scaled down to go on a bluray disk. The system works fine with normal blurays both 2D and 3D without any problems and upscales them. It seems that there is something about these disks that only works when the Sony Bluray (S790) is attached to the X900 4K TV directly. Digging around the net and speaking to Marantz and Sony it would seem that Sony has HDCP 2.2, which is doing some form of copyright protection that only Sony products can handle, ie you cann't play these disks through a surround system even if it says that it does 4K. Disappointing to say the least!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I cant advise you any further, as I simply do not know.  You've done you research on the HDCP 2.2.  Hopefully in time, standards will get fully introduced.

Until that time, have the Bluray connected to the TV.  You will/should not notice any difference in sound quality, as you are still getting the AV receiver to do the audio processing if outputting audio externally (bitstream).