Join now - be part of our community!

Metadata

SOLVED
Waynedalf
Explorer

Metadata

Hi All,

I have a new BDP-S7200 blu ray player.

I have it networked and it can access, via DLNA, the music and videos stored on my home pc and can play them all with no problem.

Unfortunately, it only shows them all as really boring lists of file names. 😞

I'd love some album art, some movie poster art, some visual use of the metadata that my files have.

I want to see glorious colour and browse by pictures - not a mind-numbing list of bland file names.

Can this player make use of visual metadata?

How do I set it up?

Or am I destined to be very sadly disappointed with my purchase every time I use it to play anything on my network?

Many thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Waynedalf
Explorer

Thanks Rooobb,

It was the DLNA I wanted to use as I wanted to keep all my music and video on my main pc and not have to transfer it somewhere else.

From other posts I've seen in this forum, it looks like Sony does not do metadata over DLNA.

My solution has been to order the new Amazon Fire TV that has a Plex app so it can access my PC and all its metadata and play it through that.

The blu ray player has disappointingly been relagated to be only a part-player in my set-up and not the soloist that I had hoped for.

Many thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Waynedalf
Explorer

If it helps, I've found this review of the BDP-S5100 that says "When playing a music file, the full screen display shows all available metadata and cover art.

So I know it's possible, I just don't know how to do it. 😞

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bdp-s5100-review-features-and-operation-page-2

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I own the BDPS5100 and I think what you are looking for is not implemented via DLNA, only on directly connected USB flash memory. Just try if putting your cover and music on a USB stick they appear on the screen selection (I didn't try with music but it's like this with photo as well)

Waynedalf
Explorer

Thanks Rooobb,

It was the DLNA I wanted to use as I wanted to keep all my music and video on my main pc and not have to transfer it somewhere else.

From other posts I've seen in this forum, it looks like Sony does not do metadata over DLNA.

My solution has been to order the new Amazon Fire TV that has a Plex app so it can access my PC and all its metadata and play it through that.

The blu ray player has disappointingly been relagated to be only a part-player in my set-up and not the soloist that I had hoped for.

Many thanks.