Join now - be part of our community!

MP4 / H264 support over DLNA

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
Edreno
Visitor

MP4 / H264 support over DLNA

Hi,

I bought a BDP-S770 player. Good so far but it can't read MP4 / H264 over DLNA. This works with USB connection only. Very disappointing. This limitation could have been mentioned on the box. Does anybody has a workaround (other than to re-encode my files, thank you) or has any insight on when this will work?

Message was edited by: Edreno

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Not natively - but just install Serviio on your PC and it will do the transcoding for you.

thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Catmambo
Contributor

Not natively - but just install Serviio on your PC and it will do the transcoding for you.

thanks

Edreno
Visitor

Thank you for the suggestion but it will not work for me, I am using a NAS (linux-based) which has his own DLNA server.

Tweed-Man
Visitor

Can I add to calls for an upgrade to be made to allow .m4a files and  other common formats to be read on NAS devices. It is infuriating that  the kit is badged as made for ipod yet does not support the native apple  formats used by audiophiles who sensibly store their collections on NAS  devices.

rcc1002
Visitor

I have finally managed to get my H264 MP4 files to play from my NAS by "re-wrapping" them, by saving as .ts files.

The Sony TV (in my case) can now play the files over DLNA from the NAS.

Re-wrapping was quick with VLC and I was able to batch convert my library of files with a single line on the command line.

On a mac, the command, run from the root folder of my MP4 library was:

find . -name "*.mp4" -exec /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -I rc -vvv {} --sout="{}.ts" vlc://quit \;

Individual files can be saved from the Export Stream or Advanced Open menus of VLC's GUI.

As there is no transcoding there doesn't seem to be any loss of quality.

I hope this is useful for those equally frustrated by Sony's lack of support for MP4 over DLNA, and that the same trick works for the Blu-Ray players too.

R

willl1987
Visitor

Serviio can be installed on some NAS devices, there are a few guides on the forums for the ones people have tired http://forum.serviio.org/viewforum.php?f=14

Message was edited by: willl1987

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
dradel
Visitor

PS Media Server (modified with a patch) or Wild Media Server will play many these without transcoding, if configured to change the mimetype to present the video to the player as an .avi file.

Edreno
Visitor

For this purpose, my choice is to still use my "old" Netgear EV8000 media player which does support mp4 natively over my NAS. And use the Sony for Blu-ray and SACD.