Join now - be part of our community!

No DD+ sound output in Netflix app

SOLVED
profile.country.DE.title
Shatabda
Explorer

No DD+ sound output in Netflix app

Hello,

I am writing with reference to Sound setting for streaming app (Netflix, Amazon etc) on UBP-X800 When I play Netflix (same movie/ series with DD+ content) from UBP-X800 the sound is passed as Dolby Digital whereas if it is played from KD-55XE9005 the sound is passed as Dolby Digital +

Please note that the HD bitstream output setting has been correctly set. I am able to receive Atmos content from Blue Ray disc so that is working fine. The only issue is with the streaming app.

Attempt to contact Sony technical support has been a disaster so far. Hoping to get a solution from the community member.

Thanks in advance for the help and solution.

With best regards

Shatabda

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.LV.title
knzsys
New

Hallo Peter!

Thanks a lot for that hint, I was looking for!

I have seen the same on my new UPB-X700.

I guessed, that the device only outputs a DD5.1-Core of the heavy compressed DD+ Stream (but has Netflix DD+ a core like DD+ streams on BDs?)

=> I assumpted a massive quality loss in comp. to my old BD player (Netflix DD+ capable)!

I already thought about giving the product back + buying another one.

But then I tested the Amazon Video App: DD+ bitstream out!
I thought: "What the hell is going on here?"

HINT FOR SONY:

Please consider to add a hint to product specs on homepage + to the manual

about DD+ and Netflix!

Only the picture quality and wide media compatibility and 3D support,

stopped me to take a premature decision to give the product back and buy another NOT SONY product.

And first make an research in the internet.

I have still 3 questions:

1) What is the bitrate value of the transcoded DD 5.1 Stream at HDMI-bitstream-out using Netflix App?

2) As engineer of embedded systems: is this transcoding the "fix" for the distortion issues of the Netflix DD+ stream on sony devices?

3) What about Dolby Atmos in Netflix UltraHD content? This will be transcoded to DD5.1 as well.

Will this be fixed in near future?

Best regards

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi knzsys,

Regarding your questions please see below:

1) What is the bitrate value of the transcoded DD 5.1 Stream at HDMI-bitstream-out using Netflix App?

Unfortunately this is not listed in our specs - but we'll try to get this information for you.

2) As engineer of embedded systems: is this transcoding the "fix" for the distortion issues of the Netflix DD+ stream on sony devices?

Can you please specify about the distortion issue? Currently we're not aware of such an issue, so some further details will be helpful.

3) What about Dolby Atmos in Netflix UltraHD content? This will be transcoded to DD5.1 as well.

Dolby Atmos is currently not supported by the Neflix app on UBP-X700.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.LV.title
knzsys
New

Hi Peter_S,

thank you for your reply! 🙂

Concerning question 2):

I have read in a hifi forum something about it. The poster was using Sony UBP-X800 with a Sony soundbar.

I haven't the link to it. But Google gave me this result:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00096758.

=> It's not a problem of the bluray player.

My new questions is:

Why the Netflix DD+ stream is converted to normal DD 5.1 and the Amazon Prime DD+ Stream is not converted on the Sony?
Blurays have an embedded secondary DD substream in their DD+ streams for backward compatibility.
I don't know if it's the same situation on streaming services.
On my previous Samsung Bluray Player BOTH Netflix and Amazon Prime are outputting DD+.
Even my Google Chromcast Stick outputs DD+ on Netflix streaming.

Why that difference?

Cheers

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi knzsys,

Reagrding your questions.

To my knowledge this difference applies to the apps that have been provided by e.g. Netflix or Amazon.

But frankly spoken I can't tell you why Netflix does convert to 5.1 and why Amazon doesn't.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Finman2

Netflix on Xbox One X gives Dolby Atmos!  Why doesn’t Sony just upgrade the app for us?!  Sony?..