Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP-S5200 network problem

Jond26
Explorer

Sony BDP-S5200 network problem

Recently purchased this unit but will not allow me to connect with internet video (SEN, Netflix etc).
I have connected to wifi no problem but nothing happens when I try to connect to online video apps. I have done a bit of reading that suggests it could be to do with DNS settings. However, I am unable to manually set these on wifi on this player and I am unable to manually set them on my Sky router as they do not allow this. Any ideas what I can do? Thanks
Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

I've been experiencing horrendous problems with SEN recently not to mention various other apps not working. I've even got Tech Support involved now.

However the other day one of the forum experts 'Quinnicus' suggested that I try resetting my device. Look under the TOOLBOX icon to the left in the HOME menu, there's an option there to do a reset. I reset ALL settings and this did help. You'll have to go through the various settings again afterwards though to make any custom adjustments after the initial setup.

One other thing I've noticed in the last 2-3 weeks is that I've had a number of updates shown on the Xross Media Bar. For instance one said that a 'Network Content Update' was available and yesterday I had one saying that an 'Internet Video Update' was available. These are usually shown just under the SEN icon on the Xross Media Bar. If you see the same you need to click on them to install the updates which take around a minute to complete.

EDIT:

On the subject of WiFi, have you ever considered hard wiring your connection using a LAN cable direct to your router? If it's too far away from your TV you could use a Network Powerline Adapter like the ones shown below. I use them in my house and the connection speed is the same throughout. It's a much better option for streaming. Shop around if interested, Amazon have some great deals on these and there's many options to choose from.

AV600 Gigabit Powerline Adapter Starter Kit

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

Please help i am so frustrated. I have brought and BDP-S5200 Blu ray DVD smart player. I switched it on and went through some settings, connected it to the WIFI, then as it connected successfully the first thing i did was press the Netflix button but nothing happens.

Have i missed some steps out? I desperately want to use Netflix via this player but i have no idea how to do it.

I have also tried clicking on the internet Video icon and it says attempting to connect 1/3 then it times out after a few mins of searching. I then wired up using a LAN cable and tried everything again but i still have no idea how to get the apps and Netflix to work.

If i click on the internet icon i can get straight on the internet using my TV.

I am so confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Darren 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You may have some problem with the firewall on your router. May you check if it is enabled and try disabling it?

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Djansell28 

Hi there,

Fear not, there is nothing wrong with your player! Currently there appears to be some form of service outage as reported also on the Sony US forums.

I know from personal experience this has happened on a number of occasions recently but the service did eventually resume. Fingers crossed Sony figure out a way to prevent this from happening too regularly.

EDIT:

As posted by US - Forum Moderator 'Jeannettez' (7 minutes ago)

Hello to all,

Greetings and thank you for your messages. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this error message. Our engineering department is currently aware of the server issue that is affecting Network Services on our devices and is working on a solution, we will keep you posted for any updates given by the department as soon as possible.

Best regards,

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

As an update to my previous post I can confirm that SEN (Sony Entertainment Network) and also the Opera Store are both off-line currently on my BDP-S7200. This confirms what is being discussed on the US forum in this post....

http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-General/My-apps-aren-t-connecting/m-p/491508#U491508

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

SEN & Opera Store resumed service again late last night.

However I may have fixed the issue myself as I unplugged all my equipment yesterday for some cable maintenance. When I powered my BD Player on again I noticed the services were working again.