Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP S570 noisy during operation

profile.country.en_GB.title
Glen-UK
Visitor

Sony BDP S570 noisy during operation

Hi

I was wondering if anybody else has a noisy S570 Blu-ray player and is it normal/common.

The machine seems to work fine in every regard and plays back perfectly, the only problem is noise from the blu-ray mechanism which sounds like it is constantly trying to search or seek through the discs during playback. The mechanism noises are not loud but if you watch programmes with a low volume setting there is just this constant seeking scanning noise from the drive.

To me it seems like the problem is a firmware/software issue causing the drive to be over active during playback, but what does anyone else think.

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
malbank
Visitor

I've had my recorder for 2 weeks and the noise is becoming more noticeable.  I have noticed in user reviews that this seems to be a common issue with this player.   Sony say it is normal while running through bd menus.

Glen-UK
Visitor

Hi malbank

Thanks for posting, I have had my machine for about 4 months and the noise is consistent all the way through anything i watch not just on the menus when you expect it to be abit noisy. It just wont stop sounding like its looking for something else or trying to constantly read ahead on the disc and it spoils an otherwise good machine. It reminds me of an old PC DVD rom drive I had that just didn't know to be quiet because the software/firmware that controls the mechanism was rubbish.

My Panasonic blu-ray player in the living room is whisper quiet, The S570 is in one the bedrooms and at low volumes the mech is all you can hear. You would think Sony would be over this kind of issue if they want people to think of it a serious home theatre machine.

I dont know if Sony staff look at these messages, do they ever post anything official or answer questions directly?

Glen

-frank-
Visitor

Hi Glen,

I can assure you Sony staff do view all these issues and try to provide answers as soon as they can.

Thanks.

Thrums1
Visitor

I have just bought one and it arrived today. I have not hooked it up to the TV as I waiting for that to arrive. I plugged it in and put a DVD in and it sounded quite noisy too especially when the disk first went in. The noise was less but still noticeable when the player was on "play". I tried a few different DVD's and the amount of noise varied.

It would certainly drive you nuts if you were viewing a DVD. I cannot test a Blu Ray as I have yet to get one.

I am not sure whether to return this to the shop (mail order from Hi Spec) or perhaps to my local Sony store for a replacement?

Advice would be very welcome please.

Thanks.

Glen-UK
Visitor

Hi Thrums1

My player came from Amazon UK (online order) and when it arrived the packaging was flawless, not a scratch/mark on it so I don't think any of the issues with my BDP-S570 have come from ill treatment of the unit during delivery or handling. I can only assume that the Blu-Ray mechanism fitted is either incredibly cheap/poor or the software controlling it is to blame.

I play DVD's in mine 99% of the time, and it just wont stop scanning/seeking during playback, its really annoying but it doesn't sound broken just noisy. Like you I have noticed that certain dvd's are noiser than others but I think this issue goes beyond differences in media and is most definately a mechanical characteristic of the machines.

To reply to your question, I too thought about returning the unit but didn't bother in the end because even if I got a refund and switched retailers there was no way for me to check any alternate unit before buying it in my local area. You may be able to do this. I would like to offer more suggestions but until someone from Sony posts your going to have to make a judgement call.

Glen

malbank
Visitor

I have used mine quite a bit more now.  I notice that certain DVDs are far worse than others when it comes to continually seeking across the disk.  I wonder whether it is more to do with the quality of the DVDs and how the menu systems are created on the disk than the actual player.  I certainly seem to notice it more on those dvds that require language selection and where you cannot easily bypass the upcoming film trailers.

Any comments from Sony reps?

Thrums1
Visitor

I have it hooked up to my new KDL40EX403. It seemed to be fine then it started omitting a loud humming from when the Blu Ray is working. It sounds like a disk or fan whirring too fast. When I place my hand on top and press down it goes away, remove my hand and it returns.

I bought from HiSpek and I am hoping they do not manage their prices by suppling distressed stock?

I am waiting to hear from them, they were supposed to call me today to organise a return but they failed to. I called them at 5pm and they said they had been busy and will call tomorrow. They tried to fob me off to Sony repair , the unit is just 2 days old! Needless to say I corrected their assumption.

Any further advice?

Message was edited by: Thrums1

Thrums1
Visitor

Well I had to call them twice today and Consumer Direct to ensure I can get a full refund. Hi-Spek's after sales is disgraceful, under staffed I am told.

I was going to write to their MD but I was told they do not give his name out. That kinda says it all, it was all I needed to know about them to decide I never want to deal with them again. I will take my refund and buy from another dealer I can trust!

Has anyone else experienced the Hi-Spek after sales disinterest?

Message was edited by: Thrums1

Glen-UK
Visitor

Hi Malbank

Good to see i'm not alone on this, some DVD's are noisier than others but i think this problem is either mechanical or firmware related, I'm still waiting like you for Sony to post something?

I found a thread on Amazon's customer forums of people complaining about the noise from the 570, one customer even stated and I quote "not sure if i can live with this". I would post the link but I'm not sure if it would contravene the Sony forum rules but a search on Google and it should appear as the first or second search entry. (search term: amazon BDP-s570 noise)

I switched out a £500 Pioneer DVD player for the BDP-570 thinking it would be an upgrade but quite frankly I'm tempted to put the Pioneer back into use as the picture quality for DVD is almost identical to the Sony but its just so nice and quiet in comparison. I might just keep the BDP-570 around for the rare occasion i want to watch a Blu-ray or just force myself to watch all Blu-rays on the Panasonic in the living room.

The Pioneer/Panasonic players in my house make nowhere near as much noise as the Sony does and it's being asked to do the same job, it just doesnt make sense and makes me suspect that the individual discs being playing are not the issue/problem.

Sorry if anyone reading this thinks I'm just bashing Sony or pumping other brands but I own other machines and with the exception of the online content available with the BDP-570 which is excellent and a major factor in my chosing it, its pretty underwheling mechanically in my experience. I dont think its broken just noisy. :slight_frown:

Message was edited by: Glen-UK