Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP S570 noisy during operation

profile.country.en_GB.title
Glen-UK
Visitor

Sony BDP S570 noisy during operation

Hi

I was wondering if anybody else has a noisy S570 Blu-ray player and is it normal/common.

The machine seems to work fine in every regard and plays back perfectly, the only problem is noise from the blu-ray mechanism which sounds like it is constantly trying to search or seek through the discs during playback. The mechanism noises are not loud but if you watch programmes with a low volume setting there is just this constant seeking scanning noise from the drive.

To me it seems like the problem is a firmware/software issue causing the drive to be over active during playback, but what does anyone else think.

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Thrums1
Visitor

I have got mine working perfect. The answer was to return it ti Hi-Spek (what a hassle that was) and I bought a new one from Comet and it is not noisy!

I think it depends on the quality of the batch yours came from. Take it back for a full refund if it under 6 months old under the Sale of Goods Act. Call Consumer Direct, they helped me out wit Hi-Spek and were great! Most companies will try and tell you that you only have 28 days to return it.. not true.

Glen-UK
Visitor

Hi Thrums1

Good to hear you got one thats quiet, it really can make the difference between enjoying a movie and just enduring it so to speak, I too am within 6 months of purchase and am now off to Google the Act you mentioned, cheers.

Glen-UK

slidingsash
Visitor

Hi

I'm having very similar problems.

Got my maching as an Xmas gift and out of the box it was operating really well.

However, just purchased a Blu-Ray disk of a concert (Joe Bonamassa at the Albert Hall, thoroughly recommended!) and there's a buzzing noise which is intolerable.

I play this disc loud, but the buzzing can still be heard. Does a music disk have more information to extract than usual?? It sounds like the transport motor. Even tried moving the machine around whilst playing, but no difference.

I'm seriously considering sending it back for a refund. A real shame as apart from the noise, it's a top-notch player.

If you monitor these forums Sony, how about an answer?.......

bittercold
Visitor

Well mine started doing it to.  I discovered it is tied to the front tray cover not giving a good seal.  See if it has popped or if any of the clipies broke.  I tinkered with mine and it completely eliminated the noise until my son got ahold of it again and broke a little plastic piece.  Now I am trying to buy a new one.

Carlos_T
Visitor

My 570 has also become very noisy. Unbearable in fact....

Fortunately, I have identified the cause....

With the top off the player you can see the drive. On the top is a twist off cover. When removed, a "floating" spindle cap is revealed (quite heavy, and magnetic). It's these two components that vibrate against each other causing the noise.

Does the 580 or 780 have the same drive construction please? If so, it may be time to switch brands....

phlebas2
Visitor

I have a BDP-370 that makes a similar buzzing sound during playback. Strangely, the noise is quieter during Blu-Ray playback and louder during DVD and CD playback. And it even makes the noise while streaming a program on BBC iPlayer! I bought it from John Lewis and have taken it back twice now and both times they sent it away to some third party repair shop who appeared to do nothing to it and returned it to the store. I'm going to have to take in in a third time and try and get a replacement. Very frustrating.

simahon37
Visitor

Many reports here of the 570 being noisy during playback, but mine is actually noisier when a blu-ray disc is loaded in the tray but doing nothing. If there's a disc is in the tray on start-up, or when a disc is stopped during playback, the player responds by letting out a constistently loud hum until the unit is turned off completely or the disc is ejected.

With an empty tray or a dvd in the tray the player is perfectly silent and even during blu-ray playback it is fairly quiet.

My player is in a closed cabinet and my normal seating position is about 2.5metres away, so the noise is pretty damn loud.

Any one else experience this with the 570?

psl971
Visitor

I've had 3 of these units so far, and they have all been returned due to the excessively loud whine during BluRay playback.  This player would be brilliant if it wasn't for the noise issue, which is noticeable above the movie volume and is very distracting (the second unit was high pitched enough to send the cat running from the room!)

There are a lot of good reviews of the s570, so clearly not every unit suffers this problem.  It seems to depend on the particular batch you recieve, which suggests that either Sony has downgraded the build quality or simply has a relaxed attitude towards quality control.

Come on Sony, this issue needs addressing if you want to keep your good name as a quality AV manufacturer!