Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP-S580 iPlayer Mbps dropping issue.

profile.country.en_GB.title
chrisbrettell
Visitor

Sony BDP-S580 iPlayer Mbps dropping issue.

Hi,

I've been experiencing recent (maybe the last couple of months) problems when streaming via iPlayer, whereby the mbps drops from around 9-10mbps to about 0.1-0.5 and thus the programme starts to buffer with little chance of restarting. I normally have to cancel the programme and restart it and it's fine. This then resolves it until it happens again. I normally can get about 8-20 minutes before it happens. I've got the latest firmware, am connected with a good connection via wifi and when the mbps does drop my pc is still connected at around 12mbps.

It's extremely frustrating and reading around there seems to have been similar problems over the last year or so but nothing seems to have been done to resolve them. Does anyone have any suggestions or news that this problem is being addressed? I researched the player a lot beforehand and took Sony to be a quality brand but as I'm connected to a digital projector (and don't have a tv receiver) this is the only method of 'watching tv'.

Very frustrated (did i mention that?!).

Many thanks....

4 REPLIES 4
Bravia55HX

Hi,

does this happen with the player connected with lan?, sadly the Sony dongle is not a strong performer using a WiFi connection,

on another note, i had similar problems recently with the virgin superhub and virgin guided me through the settings and i ended up turning off the firewall in the router, changed the frequency and unticked something else and all is fine now, currently on 30megs and on doing a speedtest runs at 31.75megs

chrisbrettell
Visitor

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I've yet to try it plugged directly in but as the player is an s580 it's got an internal wifi connection rather than a dongle. I've tried changing the frequency a number of times with little success... From what I've read before some people were suggesting it was an iPlayer server or Sony server problem? Will investigate the router firewall and try a direct connection rather than wifi....

Will update accordingly...!

Bravia55HX

Hi,

yes of coarse!, the 580 is the next one up from my 570 and your right it does have inbuilt WiFi, my apologies for that!, a lan connection is always going to be a more stable option but not everyone has their router near their equipment,

mines next to the tv and still use it on WiFi !.

CompuDoc
New

I have this same player, I have it plugged into my LAN I am also seeing my mbps drop to nothing frequently, I have business class Internet at my house and have no reason for the speed to drop like it does, my son has half the speed and gets a much better experience on his play station.