Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDPS5200

Silveredge9
Explorer

Sony BDPS5200

Hi there, so my Sony BDPS5200 bluray player came today and it works fine playing bluray discs but for some reason it won't connect to any Apps whatsoever through wi-fi. When I click on an app it says "Checking internet connection" and then nothing happens. The internet browser works fine however so obv the wi-fi connection is working at least partly. Anybody know what's up?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

When the message appears on screen 'Checking Internet Connection' does it complete the check and then show an 'OK' button? On my unit (different model BDP-S7200) you have to click the OK button after the check has completed and then it usually returns to the Home screen. You then have to launch the app again.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Silveredge9
Explorer

Hi there, no the message just disappears without any error code and I'm back on the menu.

Silveredge9
Explorer

Right so I've played around with the connection settings and I've got a better grasp at whats going on. After disabling IPv6 and setting the DNS settings on IPv4 to Googles everything seems to work fine. However after turning the player off and on again it goes back to how it was and if I select the Network Connection Status under Network Settings the whole thing freezes and I have to unplug it before I can get it to work again.

A quirk I've discovered though is after I've restarted it and I'm unable to get on any apps if I go on the internet browser (Which always works) and then quit back to the menu everything works fine again.

Maybe some firmware bug? Are there any numbers I can call to get through to a technician at Sony?

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

Obviously there are some differences between our players but from what you describe this certainly isn't normal operation.

The best course of action in these instances is to do a full reset of your player. Follow the steps below.

1. Open the HOME menu

2. Scroll left until you reach SETUP (Toolbox icon)

3. Scroll all the way down until you reach 'RESETTING' - If you can't find it try looking under System Settings

4. Click OK on your remote and when asked reset ALL settings

BTW, I notice you mention having your player connected via WiFi, do you by any chance have a WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) push button on your router? That's the quickest and easiest way to make a secure connection and you don't need to input any passwords.

In addition to the above, it is not recommended to try and install firmware updates over WiFi due to possible signal drop which can cause updates to fail. I see this happening quite a lot on these forums.

Whilst on the subject of Network connection, if your router is not close by to your TV it's possible to use a device called a Powerline Adapter which turns your household wiring sytem into a high speed network. I've been using several in my own home now with great success and the connection is certainly more stable than WiFI. I consider these a must have item for home cinema enthusiasts.

See this link for further details if interested: AV600 Gigabit Powerline Adapter Starter Kit 

(Other makes/models are available)

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14