Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDVE880 accessories

profile.country.en_GB.title
ManInKen
New

Sony BDVE880 accessories

Hello,

As a satisfied Sony user for almost 20 years, I have plenty of Sony kit and am currently considering replacing my 8 year old Sony DVD based surround system with the new BDVE880:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hch-systems-with-blu-ray-disc/bdv-e880

However, despite my appreciation for sony products, I do get hugely frustrated by the difficulties in getting more detailed product information. The website doesn't work very well at all and there is no obvious way to contact Sony themselves with these questions. The sales staff in the high street Sony Centres give conflicting information or can't answer questions at all.

Anyway, here are my specific questions with regard to the BDVE880:

(1) Initially, the description suggested that this kit can be upgraded with a wireless upgrade for the rear speakers. That's no longer very clear from the product page - so, what are the wireless speaker options for this product? I.e. what exact product(s) do I need to order with the BDVE880 for wireless rear speakers.

(2) Which WiFi dongle do I need to buy to provide the wireless network connectivity to the system itself?

(3) The information about availability is vague and unhelpful - when can I actually get it?

If anyone (from Sony?) could enlighten me on these issues, it would be much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
ManInKen
New

Well, that does it. I'm now not going to buy the BDVE880. It seems Sony can't even be bothered to answer a few simple questions about their own product here, so I'll get myself a different solution.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ManInKen,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I've been looking at the BDV-E880 it's looks an impressive bit of kit..

Let me try to answer your questions..

1. From what I can tell none of the speakers with the BDV-E880 are wireless. Only the rear speakers on the BDV-E780W are wireless. These speakers plug into a separate surround amplifier. You can see the set-up in this guide - BDV-E780W set-up

2. The BDV-E880 is wireless LAN ready. You have a few options either -

• Connect your BDV using the optional Sony UWA-BR100 dongle.
  • Connect directly into your Router using a Ethernet cable.
  • If you router isn't close to your TV you could purchase a set of homeplugs which enables networking via your existing mains power supply.

3. As to when the product will be available is difficult for to answer but from what I can tell Sony are supplying customers who have pre-ordered first. I checked in my local store & they said that hopefully the BDV-E880 should be available in stores within the next four weeks, wether that's correct or not I'm afraid I don't know..:smileysad:

If you do decide to purchase the BDV-E880 I would love to know what you think as I am quite interested myslef..:smileyhappy:

As to last post..

Well, that does it. I'm now not going to buy the BDVE880. It seems Sony  can't even be bothered to answer a few simple questions about their own  product here, so I'll get myself a different solution.
ManInKen
New

Hello,

First, thanks for taking the trouble to answer my questions.

1.  From what I can tell none of the speakers with the BDV-E880 are  wireless. Only the rear speakers on the BDV-E780W are wireless. These  speakers plug into a separate surround amplifier. You can see the set-up  in this guide - BDV-E780W set-up

Well, yes, it was clear from the outset that the standard setup was wired. But since Sony sell wireless upgrade kit for other products, and because some of the early publicity around the BDV-E880 referred to a wireless speaker possibility, I wanted to explore this further. Unfortunately, all earlier references to wireless speakers for this product seem to have disappeared.

I have already been looking at the BDV-E780W instead, although I preferred the front speakers of the BDV-E880. However, with Sony nott bothering to even answer a simple customer question (not just here), I might as well spend my money elsewhere!

2. The BDV-E880 is wireless LAN ready. You have a few options either -

• Connect your BDV using the optional Sony UWA-BR100 dongle.
  • Connect directly into your Router using a Ethernet cable.
  • If  you router isn't close to your TV you could purchase a set of homeplugs  which enables networking via your existing mains power supply.

Yes, I've seen reference ot the UWA-BR100 elsewhere. At the time I wrote my question, the manuals section for the BDV-E880 wasn't available yet, so I could not check there which gondle was required. Frankly, it would have been a better site design if you could immediately see what compatible accessories fit a given product - yes, there is some of that but it is only part complete, which is useless if you want to find specifics.

I live in a flat in London which hasn't got structured cabling. Putting Cat 5 cables through the living room is not an option and homeplugs can both cause significant interference (as demonstrated again recently by the BBC and quoted by Ofcom) as well as struggle on some older electricity wiring. So, wireless it will have to be.

If you do decide to purchase the BDV-E880 I would love to know what you think as I am quite interested myslef..

As the BDV-E780W has both wireless rear speakers and built-in WiFi (rather than through a dongle), that would have probably ended up being my choice, but I'm quite fed up with Sony. I remember similar shenanigans last year in getting Windows 7 drivers for the (obscure Ricoh) memory card drive in my Vaio, for which I received an utterly useless and late Sony response, saying they weren't available, only to find an unpublicised part of the Vaio website after some further thorough research which had the correct driver after all. There are plenty of these stories (not to mention the fact they recently managed to loose all my personal and credit card details in that global cock-up). Customer service and engagement is key to any business, and they need to get their act together. If I can't even get a decent experience before I've actually parted with my money, what chance do you think I'll have afterwards?

I would have preferred the Sony home theatre because it would interwork well with my Bravia, fuly networked telly and the rest of my home kit, but in the end the added advantages are relatively small, so I might as well look at other brands now.

I'm not sure if you are aware but it states in the Q&A forum introduction that this forum is for Sony user, like myself, to help assist one another..
Some Sony staff do pop in from time to time to answer questions but this can not be guaranteed.
I understand that, but to be perfectly blunt that's entirely besides the point. I really can't be bothered what Sony's introduction states - if they want to ensure customers have a proper experience on a forum with their brand name attached to it, and indeed part of the Sony website, they better make sure they provide decent information to potential and current customers. It's all part of branding and positioning. This is even more so the case since it's simply impossible to get this kind of info through their other online info.
I  hope I have been able to help but if you wish for a official response  then all I can suggest is that you contact Sony Support using the  following link - Sony Support

You've been most kind - I think I'll give the Sony support route a miss after my past experiences with them. They often don't seem to have a clue about their own products or give answers completely besides the point. That's precisely why I came here in the first place, in the hope this would be a better alternative!

Cheers.