Join now - be part of our community!

sony ht-st5000 + UHD player UDP-X800 SACD playback issue

SOLVED
profile.country.FI.title
nikodeemus
Explorer

sony ht-st5000 + UHD player UDP-X800 SACD playback issue

Hello,

Setup is sony ht-st5000 + UHD player UDP-X800 (+ Sony KDL55W-905A). Problem is related to SACD disk playback.

1. To be able to listen SACD disk, I need to set soundbar audio setting: 'speaker' to 'speaker + HDMI'. However, every time I switch this setting to 'HDMI + speaker', after powering the soundbar off, it changes back to 'speaker' mode ? If it is on 'speaker' only mode I can't hear sound from SACD disks, so I need to set this every time separately.
2. When starting to listen SACD disks (sevaral has been tested), I need to press multiple times the song to get sound out, maybe four times and then fifth time, I will get sound out from the soundbar (HDMI cable has been changed to new one also). Progress bar and arrow button indicates disk is in 'playing mode' and time is running but there is no sound. After going back to song list, and press play again several times, finally SACD sound comes out from the soundbar. Normal CD's and UHD / BD disks play OK. Could this be somekind of bug in the firmware ? Latest FW has been installed to all devices.

--
M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.FI.title
nikodeemus
Explorer

Sony HT ST5000 is not supporting SACD disks. So either listen SACD so that UHD player is connected directly to TV and lose TRUE HD and Dolby ATMOS or connect UHD player to soundbar and NOT listen SACD format:

Answer from Sony:

If you would like to play the SACD:

- Please connect both of the devices directly to the TV, as per page 74 from the link below:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/4687/46878383M.pdf

If you would like to play the Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD:

- Please connect the HDMI ARC from TV to soundbar ARC, and HDMI connection from the Player to the sound bar.

It will not be possible to play both of the signals through one connection map, as this is systems limitations. However, your feedback will be raised for future development.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi nikodeemus, 

Welcome to the community. 

Please contact Support about this here

Thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.FI.title
nikodeemus
Explorer

Hi,

OK I will create a ticket. Hope this time someone can assist me. I have been discussing via email with Sony Finland support but got never answer to my questions that would help. They just told me that 'setting might be planned this way, but we don't know for sure...'. Also the workaround they provide me was to test UBP-X800 with optical cable instead of HDMI even there are no optical out in the player....

--

M

profile.country.FI.title
nikodeemus
Explorer

Sony HT ST5000 is not supporting SACD disks. So either listen SACD so that UHD player is connected directly to TV and lose TRUE HD and Dolby ATMOS or connect UHD player to soundbar and NOT listen SACD format:

Answer from Sony:

If you would like to play the SACD:

- Please connect both of the devices directly to the TV, as per page 74 from the link below:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/4687/46878383M.pdf

If you would like to play the Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD:

- Please connect the HDMI ARC from TV to soundbar ARC, and HDMI connection from the Player to the sound bar.

It will not be possible to play both of the signals through one connection map, as this is systems limitations. However, your feedback will be raised for future development.

profile.country.GB.title
Finman2

I have just ‘upgraded’ from my 10 year old Sony AV Receiver to this combo.  Top price sound bar and multi format DVD/CD player.  The sound bar box is emblazoned with ‘Hi  Res Audio’.  Last time I checked SACD is classed as Hi Res Audio!  After a long struggle with the myriad of settings and desperate internet search I uncover this forum.  What a shock!  What am I going to do with my expensive collection of SACD music??  SONY should openly and clearly state that the sound bar Hi Res Audio does not include Sony’s own SACD format.  Hiding it in small print in the user manual is underhanded.  Stating that they will take note for future development is wholly inadequate.  If this can be fixed with a firmware update then it should be done urgently.  Please!     One very disappointed and angry customer.