Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT500 Audio Clicks & Pops

profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

SVR-HDT500 Audio Clicks & Pops

Has anyone else noticed that the audio on all HD channels has recently acquired splats, clicks and pops?

I have had this problem on COM7 channels (BBC4HD, BBC News HD...) since they started in December 2013, but recently this problem has spread to PSB3 channels (BBC1HD, BBC2HD, ITVHD, Channel4HD), when they were fine before. The received signal is good, and there are no picture break ups to indicate that there is a reception problem.

The broadcasters have certainly changed something on the PSB3 multiplex mid-October, but what I am not sure about is whether the audio decoding software in my PVR is at fault, or whether it's the broadcaster at fault. Reading on other forums, I know this problem is affecting other makes of  PVRs.

Thanks,

Justin.

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have the same PVR recorder, however I have not used it in a while - I'll get back to you when I test it out and see if I also experience this issue (however it wont for a couple of days).

Also, you say about other forums - I dont suppose you know if everyone is on the same transmitter - as it could be a simple case of a 'rogue' transmitter.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

I receive my signal from Emley Moor transmitter. Other people who are now complaining about this problem, from at least one other transmitter and recorder make, are to be found here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/digital-stream-dhr-8203-5u-hd-pvr-master-thread-part-twelve.1686714...

I made a thread of my own - https://www.avforums.com/threads/psb3-mux-audio-clicks-and-pops.1914401/#post-21319523 - in which I indicated that the problem has coincided with some form of transmission change on PSB3. On this thread I have also posted an example of what I hear, although I inadvertently reduced the clarity of the splutters and splats.

This problem is either a broadcaster or receiver software fault. If it's a receiver fault, I really think Sony should fix it because this problem first started when my recorder was only 2 years old, so I don't think I have had full use of it before it has been rendered obsolete by transmission changes. 

Thanks,

Justin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had my HDT500 on HD channels for the last couple of hours now, with no incident.  However no channels have been broadcasting 5.1 as of yet (only 2.0 stereo).  So cannot test this on mine.  However I have been reading the other threads that you linked to, and I can see that many are complaining across many different devices and manufacturers - therefore this is unlikely to be specific to Sony.

PS : Im on the Oxford transmitter.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

I don't know if 5.1 audio is a factor in this.

From the other threads, I gather that engineers for Vestel and Digistream recorders are looking into the issue. It'll be interesting to know their findings - either the broadcaster has violated the Freeview HD specification, or my PVR doesn't meet it.

Thanks,

Justin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As another person has also reported the problem:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/general-chat/svr-hdt1000-audio-dropouts-issues/m-p/1830063

I have reported this to Sony in the hopes that they can assist in resolving this.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

Thank you for reporting this problem to Sony. I hope it gets resolved.

Justin.

broster19
New

I have also noticed this. I did notice it some time ago but mainly on channel 4 HD. It seems to have spread to all HD channels. It is getting rather frustrating and putting me off using the device. Please fix Sony.
profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

It appears the problem is being caused by broadcasters switching from Dolby Multistream 10 to MS11. Sony probably already know this.

Now, whether the fault is caused by the broadcaster poorly formatting the MS11 data, or the software in our recorders is faulty, always was faulty, and is not capable of ignoring the additional data when it should be able to, I don't know.

Justin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Received a message from Sony that they can confirm the problem, which means that they can replicate it too. So good news so far.

Ill keep you posted when more updates comes to light

Cheers