Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT500 Audio Clicks & Pops

profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

SVR-HDT500 Audio Clicks & Pops

Has anyone else noticed that the audio on all HD channels has recently acquired splats, clicks and pops?

I have had this problem on COM7 channels (BBC4HD, BBC News HD...) since they started in December 2013, but recently this problem has spread to PSB3 channels (BBC1HD, BBC2HD, ITVHD, Channel4HD), when they were fine before. The received signal is good, and there are no picture break ups to indicate that there is a reception problem.

The broadcasters have certainly changed something on the PSB3 multiplex mid-October, but what I am not sure about is whether the audio decoding software in my PVR is at fault, or whether it's the broadcaster at fault. Reading on other forums, I know this problem is affecting other makes of  PVRs.

Thanks,

Justin.

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

Thanks,

Justin.

profile.country.en_GB.title
suggs71
New

I would also be interested in the (hopefully software) solution to this as it has started to dominate all broadcasts and is really annoying.

Regards

Gary

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi all,

Just wanted to add that I also suffer these symptoms on my Panasonic Viera TV and likewise my Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorder. I only receive standard Freeview, not HD but same problems either way. I've always put this down to atmospherics, rain/wind etc etc.., even birds roosting on aerial perhaps?!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

I have requested an update from Sony on this issue.  Hopefully they have some insight in this problem.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I think it's the broadcasters causing this issue or the transmitter stations. Earlier this evening I was watching my mother's Panasonic Viera TV, she has Freesat and we suffered the exact same trouble. We were watching BBC One News at the time and they were showing an outside broadcast filmed on location and we suffered several audio clicks and pops together with a picture breakup pixelization of faces.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Received a little bit of feedback today in regards to this issue. 

In a nutshell, SonyUK has been in discussion with DigitalUK and Arqiva who have provided Sony with information.  This information has now been passed to the engineers in Japan in the hopes that they can find a solution.  It does appear to be the encoding of the broadcast stream that is the problem - but know no technical details.

So, unfortunately its a waiting game at the moment.

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

Is there any news on a software update being developed or deployed for this PVR? I know of two other makes of PVR - Vestel and DigiStream - that have had updates to correct the ongoing audio problems on all HD channels.

Thanks,

Justin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JustinN 

Just to keep you informed, I received some feedback that a fix is in the process of being developed.  Unfortunately there is no ETA on when this will be rolled out.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

Thanks,

Justin.

daveben
Explorer

Given the time that has elapsed, are we to assume that Sony have no intention of ever fixing this problem?