FAQ - Best Picture Settings

Anonymous
Not applicable
27,582  Views
  1. What are the best picture settings to use?

This is one of the most common questions people ask when purchasing a new TV. Unfortunately it is one of the questions that does not have a real answer. However, hopefully this FAQ will help guide you in how choose the right picture settings customised for you.

Some of the reasons why are:

• Each individual has different preferences in regards to the actual picture (i.e. colour, brightness, sharpness)
  • The actual room and position of where the TV is located (i.e. room may be brighter or darker than someone else’s)
  • TV viewing habits - some people’s main viewing times are at night and in a dark room, therefore the TV needs different picture settings to someone who’s main viewing habits are during the day in a bright room.

1. So how do I get the best picture settings for me?

To get the best customised picture settings suitable for you, the advice is as follows:

• Start afresh – reset all picture settings to the default settings
  • Ensure eco settings are turned off (such as Light Sensor)
  • Write down all the settings either on a spreadsheet (sample attached) or on a piece of paper (see the attached PDF document as an example).
  • Slowly make changes to the picture settings – noting down the changes on the spreadsheet in a new column. This is the part that can take time (even 2 weeks or more!). It is best to make small incremental changes.

1. Are there any tools that can assist?

Fortunately there are tools on the market that can help you calibrate the picture settings on a TV. Many Blu-ray Discs have a calibration tool, especially the ones with the THX Logo.

There are also tools such as:

1. It all sounds too hard?

Fortunately there are also professionals that can calibrate your TV for you. For a more detailed write-up, see:

https://www.avforums.com/article/why-should-i-get-a-professional-video-TV-projector-calibration.1025...

3 Comments