Join now - be part of our community!

2011 Bravia Firmware Bug (Wireless access via hidden SSID failing)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

2011 Bravia Firmware Bug (Wireless access via hidden SSID failing)

I guess this is directed to Sony support staff on this forum.

I'm running a new Bravia KDL-46HX923 with the 17/06/2011 PKG3.235EUA firmware release. Attempts to join a hidden wireless network (ie: one where the SSID is not broadcast) by doing a scan and entering the SSID manually result in an inability to connect to the wireless network.

Changing the router configuration to broadcast an SSID, then selecting the network from the visible list (using the same password) results in a wireless connection succeeding.

Once a connection has been made, any attempt to 're-hide' the SSID (ie: stop broadcasting it) results in network connectivity being lost.

I would appreciate it if you could please report this issue to those responsible for firmware development, with a view to enabling a fix in a future firmware release. Failing that, feel free to PM me any contact details and I'll attempt to provide the engineers additional information via internal email (I work for SCEE).

Regards,

Dean

p.s. Other people with 2011 Bravia sets are also reporting the same problem. For example, take this guy in Australia with a CX520 - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1674885. Also, see reviews of the HX820 on Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL55HX820-55-Inch-Built/product-reviews/B004QXFI04 (the review from 'G.Cacciatore').

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Squidwatcher
Visitor

I did a software update this morning and thought I would try the wireless connection again.

This time it works! Same setup, ie manually entering SSID and WPA2 (AES) password.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Squidwatcher
Visitor

I also have this issue on the same TV KDL-HX923 (delivered 16 June). I cannot connect wirelessly to the internet via a 'close' network. In the meantime until a software fix is available, I have connected wired to the internet.

The other more significant fault to this TV is the crease on both sides of the screen which is being reported all over this forum and much more on AV Forums. I wait to see how Sony will handle this issue in a hassle free manner.

Regards,

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

could you both let us know the make & model of the router you have please & the SSID being used.?

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

Hi Thalamus,

My router is a Netgear WNR3500v1.

Not entirely sure why you need the SSID? Rather than post it here, I'll say that my SSID is just 9 normal upper & lower case characters, no spaces or other punctuation - so it's not going to be anything due to illegal characters on entry. And note that as mentioned in my original report, the SSID is accepted without trouble when the router is configured to broadcast it.

Regards,

Dean

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for the info I've passed it along to Sony..

Just had another thought, are you connecting to the router using option1 (WPS) or option 2 (without WPS)

If option 2 are you able to successfully connect to your Router using option 1 (WPS) when the SSID is hidden.:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

Hi Thalamus,

I've tried using WPS while the SSID is hidden, but this also fails to connect to the router. As a test, I've tried WPS while the SSID is broadcast, and the router/TV connect without any issue. Turn off SSID broadcasting again, and the established connection/entry for my network then fails as described previously.

Regards,

Dean

Squidwatcher
Visitor

Dear Thalamus,

I am using an Apple Airport Extreme Time Capsule base station. My SSID has letters upper and lower case and one space.  Also using WPA2 Personal. I do not have any issues connecting wirelessly with a PS3 and Panasonic DMP-BDT310 Bluray player.

I would not know how to connect using WPS on the Apple.

Regards,

Message was edited by: Squidwatcher

Message was edited by: Squidwatcher

Squidwatcher
Visitor

I did a software update this morning and thought I would try the wireless connection again.

This time it works! Same setup, ie manually entering SSID and WPA2 (AES) password.

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Excellent thanks for letting us know that you have been able to connect using a hidden SSID..:smileyhappy:

I wonder if Dean has also been able to the same.?

sanjayj
Visitor

I bought a Sony KDL22EX320 yesterday and I have experienced exactly the same issue. I have Netgear DG834G router and with SSID hidden, the TV does not connect to the router. As soon as I enable SSID broadcast, the TV connects without any problems. The firmware on the TV is the latest (first thing I did after connecting the TV - through USB) . My SSID is just 6 alpha characters and I also did a manual rescan and specified everything manually.