Join now - be part of our community!

2011 Bravia Firmware Bug (Wireless access via hidden SSID failing)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

2011 Bravia Firmware Bug (Wireless access via hidden SSID failing)

I guess this is directed to Sony support staff on this forum.

I'm running a new Bravia KDL-46HX923 with the 17/06/2011 PKG3.235EUA firmware release. Attempts to join a hidden wireless network (ie: one where the SSID is not broadcast) by doing a scan and entering the SSID manually result in an inability to connect to the wireless network.

Changing the router configuration to broadcast an SSID, then selecting the network from the visible list (using the same password) results in a wireless connection succeeding.

Once a connection has been made, any attempt to 're-hide' the SSID (ie: stop broadcasting it) results in network connectivity being lost.

I would appreciate it if you could please report this issue to those responsible for firmware development, with a view to enabling a fix in a future firmware release. Failing that, feel free to PM me any contact details and I'll attempt to provide the engineers additional information via internal email (I work for SCEE).

Regards,

Dean

p.s. Other people with 2011 Bravia sets are also reporting the same problem. For example, take this guy in Australia with a CX520 - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1674885. Also, see reviews of the HX820 on Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL55HX820-55-Inch-Built/product-reviews/B004QXFI04 (the review from 'G.Cacciatore').

Tags (3)
16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
jasbravia
Visitor

Just bought the Bravia KDL26EX320

Update  firmware to PKG3.235

Router is a Draytek Vigor 2820

Manually set up

Turn off Hidden SSID and it connects

Hide the SSID and the signal drops immediately and it won't reconnect until you unhide the SSID

So, not fixed yet

ericpode
Visitor

Just bought the 32" CX523, and ran into this problem of the wireless connection only working if the SSID was set to broadcast. I wasn't very happy about that, but then I found the firmware update on the Sony site which took the TV to version PKG3.309

This seems to have solved the problem. It took a couple of attempts to connect the first time with SSID broadcast switched off, but it does seem to be working OK now (so far!)  :slight_smile:

sanjayj
Visitor

Yep, I can confirm my 22EX320 is working with SSID hidden. Looks like the bug is fixed.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
knight
New

I bought a 26EX320 last Saturday the 6'of august, i use the latest firmware, But still I need to broadcast the ssid when I stop the broadcast the connection fail.

I use a Siemens Gigaset SX 762.

sanjayj
Visitor

Just to be sure, can you check if your firmware is PKG3.309EUA?

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

Am running latest firmware, and had to re-enter all my network settings again, but can confirm it's now working.

Dean

treacl
Explorer

Although it's 6 yr later, I may be in the same situation with a 4K 49" Bravia locking up my Airport network, once I tried to network things. I've had enough tonight, but can someone from Sony respond how I can have my network return to its previous working conditions? I haven't yet made any negative posts on Social Media.

Tony Anstatt