Join now - be part of our community!

3D DVDs (Life of Pi) Sony Bravia KDL-46HX803

leppyluck
Explorer

3D DVDs (Life of Pi) Sony Bravia KDL-46HX803

Trying to watch Life of Pi in 3D on my Sony Bravia 3D TV, and I have got a bluray 3D dvd player too, however when I try and click Play 3D Movie this message comes up:

'This feature requires a Blu-Ray 3D Player connected to a 3D Display.

Your Blu-Ray 3D Player has not detected that it is connected to a 3D Display.

This may be due to a Display capability or an equipment set up issue.

Please review the 3D Capability and setup of your equipment.

Consult with your equipment manual or support website for more information.'

I have tried putting it in 'Simulated 3D', 'Side by Side' and 'Over-Under' in the 3D Menu, but it still won't play!

Please help, I have only rented the DVD for one day.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there

The first generations of 3D TV's required a 3D Sync Transmitter (Model = TMR-BR100) - Have you purchased this, if so, is it plugged in.  Also the Bluray player needs to be connected via a HDMI 1.4a.

Cheers

leppyluck
Explorer

Hi there,

Yes we have the 3D transmitter, and the 'simulated 3D' works just fine when we're watching normal TV, but this is the first time we have tried to watch a 3D DVD and I dont know why it isn't working.

I'm pretty sure its plugged into the right HDMI too,

any other ideas?

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

So we can confirm the following so far:

• 3D Transmitter plugged in
  • And 3D Transmitter works, because you've tested it via Simulated 3D via normal broadcast TV.

Things to confirm:

• What Blu-ray player do you have (Brand and model)?
  • Are you using a HDMI cable that is version 1.4 (or 1.4a)?  As previous HDMI cables did not support 3D (bandwidth limitations)

Cheers

leppyluck
Explorer

Yep that all sounds right so far!

I have a Sony BDP-S480 blu-ray player

The HDMI cable is blue if that helps (probably doesnt!) but it doesn't say whether it is 1.4 or not, how can I check?

Thank you much for your help so far!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirmed :

Bluray player is indeed 3D.

As you have all the required equipment, it therefore only leaves the HDMI cable.  And unfortunately is hard to tell which one you have.  How long have you had the cable for?  Where did it come from? 

Personally, in my oppinion, I think it is best to replace it with another one.  If you search Amazon ("HDMI 1.4a"), they are less than £10 for a decent one.  So...

Thats all I can advise at this moment in time

Hope that helps

leppyluck
Explorer

Ah okay, well HDMI cable says 'High Speed HDMI Cable  with Ethernet E119932-T AWM Style 20276 80.C 30V VW-1 Copartner'

Does that indicate anything?

Otherwise I have reserved a cable at Asda, and thankyou so much, you have been a great help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing a google on that cable, gives me mixed results.  Its either 1.3 or 1.4

But to be honest, everything else seems to check out fine.  Still suggest replacing HDMI cable.

Good Luck.

leppyluck
Explorer

Just bought new HDMI 1.4 cable and still not working!

Perhaps it is something quite obvious that I am doing wrong, I'm not great with technology. Feel like I've probably forgotten to turn 3D on or something, but otherwise, very angry with Sony! Paid 6£ already just to rent this DVD, and it will be 9 tomorrow!

Thank you so much for your help so far!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sorry it didnt work!

Right lets have a look at the next steps.

• Firmware
  • How its all connected
  • 3D Settings

Firmware

Ensure that you are on the latest firmware for the TV.  According to HERE, you should be on version PKG4.117EUT-0108.  To see what version you have, press the HOME button, then goto SETTINGS > PRODUCT SUPPORT > SYSTEM INFORMATION

Ensure that your Bluray player (BDP-S480) is on the latest firmware.  According to HERE, you should be on version M07.R.0624.

Connecting it all up

• 3D Sync Transmitter connected to TV using the TV's 3D Sync Port
  • Connect BDP-S480 via HDMI (HDMI OUT) to the TV (use HDMI 1 if not in use)

3D Settings

Ensure that following settings are enabled on the TV (SETTINGS > DISPLAY > 3D SETTINGS)

• Auto 3D = ON
  • 3D Signal Notification = ON

Set the 3D output settings on the Bluray player to : AUTO and set screen size to 46 (See page 21 of the manual HERE)

If after all this, and it STILL does not work, maybe another forum member may have another idea, as im out of ideas to be honest.  If all else fails.  You may want to phone Sony's Customer Service Centre.

Hope it works out.  Good luck

Cheers.