Join now - be part of our community!

4k upgrade advice

RenMcCourtey
Explorer

4k upgrade advice

Hi there everybody, I'd like to ask advices regarding 4k upgrade. Generally, I'd go to SONY store and ask there but there is no SONY store around here. I can go to general electro store but those guys there are usually just able to repeat what's written on the sticker so no help there either. So yes, I'd ask SONY technical support to help decide but hey, there is no online SONY technical support. That apparently means I have to bother community and hope for someone willing to burn some time helping me out...
Anyway, I currently have Bravia KDL-50W656 with STR-DH540 receiver, in 5.1 config. Receiver receives PS4 Pro and nVidia's 960 GPU based PC. Now I'd like to replace the TV for something 4k HDR with 55" and I am not sure about my choices. Main purpose is gaming and movies, no actual tv watching, cable either terrestrial, is planned. I usually watch Netflix, HBO GO and stuff. Do I have to replace my receiver also? I was actually hoping I could use this ARC feature and change the setup to 'tv centric', instead of 'receiver centric'. But, if I understand it correctly, ARC supports only compressed formats like DD or DTS, is that correct? PC GPU outputs LPCM in games, no chance to compress it like in the old DTS connect/DD Live days. And what about GPU connection, will its HDMI output in 4k? My 4k Dell monitor can be connected with displayport but not the tv, I guess. I'm really not sure where to even start...

11 REPLIES 11
RenMcCourtey
Explorer

Yeah, I played a bit with PC and I did split audio to optical out as you adviced and connected it directly to receiver, where I paired it to proper input in settings. But as I was afraid, I got only LPCM 2.0 this way, as the board in the PC doesn't support encoding into compressed multichannel formats to push 5.1 through TOSLINK. It means I'm stuck with stereo in games with such setup. Bitstreaming of both DD and DTS from BD disks works well though.

Maybe if I could use another HDMI cable to output audio only, from PC to AVR, effectively replacing mentioned optical connection with HDMI. But as I understand, HDMI _requires_ videosignal present, audio only connection is not possible.

RenMcCourtey
Explorer

Now I am hypothetically somewhere here:

wip.PNG 

I just can't believe that with all these outputs from PC I am not able to connect it to the chain anywhere and have both 4k@60Hz and lossless multichannel.:-(