Join now - be part of our community!

5.1 audio out from TV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Cyrax.NET

5.1 audio out from TV

Hi Guys,

I have a KDL-EX403.  I also have a Samsung home theatre system (few years old now) set up.

I can connect the the two via composite audio cable or via optical digital toslink.

I would like to know how I can output from the TV, when playing media via the USB mainly or channels with 5.1 to the Samsung theatre system and receive 5.1 audio?

Can the Bravia output 5.1 (According to spec it can)?  If so which cable and what settings if any?  I tried a Dolby Digital Plus test file from and although the TV plays the file, there is no audio?  No audio from the tv, or if composite or optical out used to the speaker system.

Perhaps Dolby Digital Plus only works on HDMI so I'll try other Dolby/DTS formats.

Any info would be great.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Get rid of the composite cable - its useless for digital 5.1 sound.  Analog 2.0 only

1. Connect the optical cable from the TV to the input port on your theatre system. 
  2. Set Optical Out on the TV to Auto - See HERE
  3. Tell the TV to output sound via Audio System and not speakers - See HERE
  4. Set the Samsung Theatre System to "TV" input
  5. Play a test file, I suggest nothing too "taxing".  Just play a normal DD5.1 test file first and see if that works.  See HERE

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

Cyrax.NET

I think I've figured out what works for my setup. 

I use the digital optical coax for video/files that are actually encoded with 5 channels surround.  I find using the composite red & white RCA outputs into the theatre system best for stero encoded files.  The output is richer in this case.  This maybe due to the fact the theatre system handles 2 channel PCM stero better with standard RCA than the digital out.

All the above settings are done, as mentioned by Quinnicus above.  Thanks for your input.

Here is a basic guide to different cable types.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Get rid of the composite cable - its useless for digital 5.1 sound.  Analog 2.0 only

1. Connect the optical cable from the TV to the input port on your theatre system. 
  2. Set Optical Out on the TV to Auto - See HERE
  3. Tell the TV to output sound via Audio System and not speakers - See HERE
  4. Set the Samsung Theatre System to "TV" input
  5. Play a test file, I suggest nothing too "taxing".  Just play a normal DD5.1 test file first and see if that works.  See HERE

Hope that helps

Cyrax.NET

Hi Quinnicus,

Thank you for your reply.

I did try exactly as you suggested but I wil spend a bit more time this weekend and do a full test using the files you linked.  Can the Bravia play VOB files from USB? 

So to confirm composite will not carry 5 channels but optical digital will?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Composite will not carry 5.1 audio.  According to the specs (and manual) VOB files are not supported.

Cheers

Cyrax.NET

I think I've figured out what works for my setup. 

I use the digital optical coax for video/files that are actually encoded with 5 channels surround.  I find using the composite red & white RCA outputs into the theatre system best for stero encoded files.  The output is richer in this case.  This maybe due to the fact the theatre system handles 2 channel PCM stero better with standard RCA than the digital out.

All the above settings are done, as mentioned by Quinnicus above.  Thanks for your input.

Here is a basic guide to different cable types.