Join now - be part of our community!

Advise over noise reduction please

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bernie-the-Bolt

Advise over noise reduction please

Hi

On my KDL-22E5300 I notice that fast motion, suchas ice skating, produces artifacts/pixelation when the camera follows the action. What is the best resolution for this issue? Is it 'noise'?

4 REPLIES 4
seboyad

Hi, It could just be a poor/highly compressed transmission which can't handle the amount of data required to produce a fast changing image.  I'm assuming this is on standard def Freeview.

Do you get the same issue when watching Blu-ray or DVD?  If so, then we need to look at your settings first.  If you could post them up maybe someone can make some suggestions.

Bernie-the-Bolt

Seyboyad

Thanks for this - Yes it is standard def freeview, my 37EX503 HD set is fine and no issues what so ever with Blu-ray/DVD. I am talking about ITV's 'Dancing on Ice' by the way as this may gve a clue. BBC channels/programmes all seem to be excellent. If it is the compressed transmission is there any point in changing any settings at all then?

seboyad

Hi,

ITV can be very variable in terms of compression, so if the BBC channels look OK and ITV doesn't then it probably is the transmission itself.

You could try tweaking the sharpness down and switching off the "Noise Reduction" and "MPEG Noise Reduction" options to see if that helps.

Check that your signal isn't marginal. I think it's in the Technical Setup->System Information menu.  This would only cause a prob if the signal was quite low, and you'd notice picture breakups during certain weather conditions too.

I must say that I am surprised you are having issues with a 22" size TV though.  ITV SD should look fine even at relatively close distances.

If all else fails you could get yourself one of the cheapish Freeview HD tuners and use that.  It will significantly improve the picture quality but sadly, not improve the show 😉

Bernie-the-Bolt

Seyboyad

Thanks for this. I've tried everything else and appreciate your input. I have line of site to Winter Hill at Horwich some 20 miles away and signal strength/quality is 100% on all counts. Sharpness is 6, MPEG Noise Compression - Nil. I turned Noise Compression to max to try to resolve this as MPEG noise made no difference.  I'm only doing this for t'missus (really!) but it could come into play in other areas in the future.

I appreciate your input though, thanks again.

ps If someone could help with my other query for Youtube on BIV I'd be most appreciate!!