Join now - be part of our community!

Are the latest TVs using MSDOS FAT or NTFS or both?

profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

Are the latest TVs using MSDOS FAT or NTFS or both?

Hi,

Does anyone know the above as it's crucial to viewing video from external hard drives, especially if they have been used on a Mac?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
etritd
New

The external HDD has to be formatted FAT32 before using with Bravia TV. I don't think there is any late model that support NTFS format.

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

You can  use exFAT on many Sony TV's as well I think to get around the 4 GB limit.

http://lifehacker.com/5927185/use-the-exfat-file-system-and-never-format-your-external-drive-again

profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

Many thanks etritd and Nielsen. I was wondering what exFAT was so I will try that and let you know.

My TV is working with FAT32 but with reduced picture size and the TV screen format option disabled in the USB conected mode. I have KDL40W5500 LCD bought in December 2009 so it will be interesting to see if the exFAT works.

I will post the result when I've tried.

Thanks again.:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

I've tried exFat and it doesn't work.

So it's FAT32 with a reduced screen image unless anyone knows how to get it up to full screen?

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

Ooh-sorry:smileyblush:. I guess a 4 year old TV is ancient.:smileyconfused:

But from your other post I would say your problem is more related to the restricted video format your TV supports on USB (mpg only). Mpg doesn't scale as well as ex. AVI.

I'll suggest to use home network instead with LAN cable, with ex. Homestream as DLNA server. That way you get more options on file formats. See sticker on Homestream.

profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

Thanks for the Homestream idea, I'm also taking a look at the Apple TV box as my wife has an iPhone5 and an iPad.

Thanks again for your help.