Join now - be part of our community!

Audio Return problems KDL-47W805A - STR-DN1030

profile.country.GB.title
sick_puppy
New

Audio Return problems KDL-47W805A - STR-DN1030

Good afternoon all.

I hope someone can help with an unusual problem that is making my brain hurt.

I previously had my PS3, HD Sky box and Apple Mac running into my STR-DN1030 Av receiver through HDMI and then had the video ouputting to an old LG HD TV.

I had perfect surround sound, 7.1 LPCM and Full Dolby with this setup, no complications.

I have just bought the KDL-47W805A TV (I think the same as the KDL-47W802A in USA).

So for ease of use I wanted to plug the PS3, Sky HD and Mac, directly in to the TV's HDMI ports and use the HDMI1 ARC channel to return the surround sound to the Amp and output.

However, when I have done so, the ARC light on the amp shows up, but it only outputs 2 channel sound, even when playing Blu rays on the PS3 and watching HD channels on Sky.

To highlight his, when I run the Audio setting detection on the PS3, it only detects a basic Dolby and 2 channel LPCM, (whereas when plugged in to the amp directly, would detect a huge list including LPCM 7.1)

So I am a bit stumped on this, is there a setting on the TV, Amp, PS3, Sky box that I am missing to enable the full surround audio signal to be throughput to the amp through ARC via the TV?

Are the PS3 and Sky box only detecting the audio abilities of the TV not the Amp and altering their own sound outputs to accommodate?

Is there a possibility that the HDMI lead from the TV to the Amp is a bit outdated and not doing all it should for outputting sound? (seems unlikely as the amp does detect ARC and plays stereo signal through it)

Any help gratefully received as I was bashing my head against a brick wall last night and Sony Support today are also stuck?

Many thanks

Josh

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
moakuje30
New

The sky box doesn't output digital surround through the hdmi. You have to connect through optical aswell to get DD 5.1. As for your ps3 I haven't tried mine out yet but the sound settings should be set through the ps3. That should do it. It did she I had it connected to my 1030 amp. Having only bought the tv yesterday. Good luck with getting the sound sorted.

profile.country.GB.title
sick_puppy
New

Hi Moakuje30.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, I'd already had the optical cable running from Sky box to the amp. In which case if I was to run the Sky box hdmi video out in to the TV, what's the most convenient place to put the optical cable?

Still can't figure out the PS3 though

profile.country.GB.title
moakuje30
New

I've got the optical running from my sky box to the amp in the sat/catv input, but when you turn the amp on if you have the arc hdmi (hdmi1) running from the tv to the ampyou have to chahnge the input to sat/catv to get digital audio. that worked for me.

profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

You've probably already done this but have you changed tv audio from tv speakers to audio system ? also hdmi does support uncompressed audio.

profile.country.GB.title
miboard77
Explorer

Some of the more recent Sky (BSkyB Formally Amstrad) boxes have earlier this year (2013) received a software update that now allows the user to select DD 5.1 out via HDMI connection.