Join now - be part of our community!

Automatic Updates Delay

Woktolivelife

Automatic Updates Delay

Is it normal for a delay between automatic updates coming through and having to go the USB route because an update has been available for weeks without ant automatic updates by my TV ( which is set up to receive such)

Regards
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It is normal that OTA (Over the Air) updates can take a couple of days so to fully come through, for many various reasons (ie Bandwidth available on local transmitter). I dont think it should take weeks though ! - Most cases though, its done then and there on that night.

Im not sure whats going on there on that one - But failing that, the USB option is just as good.

Cheers

PS: Forgot to say, many TV's allow you to search manually for an OTA update.  On my TV - Settings > Product Support > Software Update  (and then it should 'search', if an update has been found, it should start to download, if not comes up with "Newer version not detected")

Woktolivelife

Hi,
Thanks for the reply its actually been just a week since the update was posted on the Sony support site but no auto update and when I search manually comes up no newer updates found, have to go the USB route I guess!.
Just out of interest perhaps to others it's on the new Bravia w805 where I had issues with just the Netflix app freezing at varying times into a program which would then cause the whole SEN to become non available Sony call centre gent said it was linked and the same as the issues with HD you tube videos as the update only gives details as a you tube issue update

Regards
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since its been available on the website for a week, I would update via the USB route, as it generally takes Sony a couple of weeks to update the website anyhow.  :slight_smile: 

profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

I did a up date check on my 55w9 when i saw that there was an update for the tv but it came back as showing no newer version so i did the usb route,other sony tv's i've had even when auto update has been turned on they don't update and you have to do it manually.When i update mine it's normally connected to a power saving panel so i uplug it and connect it directly to a socket as you know they go through a power on power off cycle as they update to stop any possible corruption.

Woktolivelife

Tats nice to know its not just my TV that doesn't,t Auto update as it should.
But here's a twist the other day when I contacted Sony they acknowledged the update as per the web and sent me out a USB with the update installed I plugged it in today and the TV comes back no new update available yet I,ve checked the TV and the USB and they are different .
Woktolivelife

Would appreciate any input from anybody who has been able to apply update PKG3610 EUA To there Tv ( w6-8 models)
Spoke with Sony apparently there is an issue with this update not being recognised by the models it's designed for yet it still up on the site! Issues been refer erred to the next level seems pointless trying to sort it out through emails which are never answered or call centre which have no information available guess we just have to wait for another update whenever!!! And hope!
Woktolivelife

OK decided to be pro active contacted the call centre and an engineer is coming tommorrow which slightly took me back. Don't suppose anybody's got an idea what would need to be done , no other issues what so ever TV just does not recognise any update

Regards
Woktolivelife

Seems I was right to be surprised by there next day response! Just thought I,d ring to confirm :-)) only to be informed my colleague has put the wrong invoice date in so your not in warranty end of. The gent even informed my i had a five year warranty on the product Its only 8 weeks old Thought it would of made could good customer service to have contacted me after all they have my telephone number email etc or even just took the time to check my ,registered product details as opposed to waiting for me to get back in contact after wasting my time waiting in for some non existent Sony technician to turn up.
Starting to think it was a mistake to of purchased from Sony online as my only contact is through the same call centre. Maybe I would of got some more genuine customer service from a bricks and mortar store than from some faceless multi national.
Any company can sell a shiny new product and i accept things can go wrong but its how you deal with those problems that show there true worth in there level of aftercare "CARE" being the definitive wording
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You have my sympathies, as I too know how frustrating things like that can be.  All for the sake of a simple phone call.  It seems that its not just a Sony issue, but more reflects on the wider societal attitudes.  Funnily enough, technology has allowed us far more ways in communicating, yet communication for many is what is lacking - It just now replies on humans.  And thats the problem

Hope you get things resolved soon.

Cheers.