Join now - be part of our community!

Backlight bleed on KDL-46HX853

profile.country.en_GB.title
Freakodeluxe
Visitor

Backlight bleed on KDL-46HX853

Hi,

Love the tv apart from a few niggles, I get noticable backlight bleed on menu screens (I've heard this is common) and more annoyingly while watching Netflix via my PS3 last night. I have no issues with it while watching sat tv or dvd/blue ray.

While it's not effecting the vast majority of my viewing its not what i expected from a top end tv. Are there any solutions to this save a unit replacement?

Many thanks,

Rich.

9 REPLIES 9
Bravia55HX

Hi,

this is one one Sony's best in recent years with very few if any problems (thus far) it may be a simple issue with not having it set up right, check out the link below but bear in mind that ambient lighting in any given room plays a key role in the overall set up so treat these settings as an approximate guide.

highlighted menu screens do give the impression of backlight bleed, my 55HX853 does it (as did the 923 before that!) so i would not concern yourself with it, as long as like you said its fine with blu ray and satellite, dont worry.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/my-sony-bravia-kdl-46hx853-settings-after-calibrati...

Freakodeluxe
Visitor

Thanks for your reply, all the settings are as per the link already. Sorry should have said.

However all that is meaningless now as the tv just switched itself off and now will not come back on. I've tried switching off at the wall and doing a factory reset to no avail. Just getting a red flashing led at the front. Can't believe a 3 day old tv is broken already :angry:

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

unbelievable!, yes its developed a fault, your first port of call is to get on to your dealer and get a replacement organised as soon as possible.

Freakodeluxe
Visitor

Yeah contacted Amazon and no problems re straight swap. Just a pain repacking, awaiting pick up, waiting till Amazon get the old set back then waiting for the new one to be delivered then setting up again. Oh well. Just hope they can get me a new one as there's not many of these sets left with Sony releasing the new models soon.

Bravia55HX

yeah its a pain, had similar problem with the 923 and thats bigger!, i think your safe with this model with regards to replacement, theres always a few kicking about somewhere!

Freakodeluxe
Visitor

Hopefully wont take too long, oh well the old telly will be brought out of retirement tonight

LaCurtis87
Visitor

Apologies youve had a few issues, ive got the 40" and its a great TV. upgrading end of last year and have had no regrets. hope all goes well.

Freakodeluxe
Visitor

I'm sure it was just bad luck. Hats off to Amazon though, called em Sunday am to report the fault, received an email Sunday pm to say the replacement set will be with me by Wednesday and I've 30 days to return the faulty one which will be collected from my home address.

Freakodeluxe
Visitor

New set arrived today, all settings adjusted and looking lovely. Less backlight bleed than my last set, lets hope it lasts longer than 3 days