Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
TLondoner
Visitor

BBC iPlayer

Has anyone got this going?  I have just purchased the KDL32EX503U and the iPlayer option is listed but does not work and says I need an upgrade and ensure this the TV set to update. I have checked that it is but no iPlayer to date.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sonytjm
Explorer

Found it. It is NOT available yet. Look at

http://sonycic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/978

It says that the icon is there but Sony has not managed to make it work yet. So much for advice from the shops or the website marketing!

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
sonytjm
Explorer

I have just connected to the forum for the exact same question with newly purchased KDL32EX703U. The error message says to confirm "Automatic software update is turned on". The nearest I could discover was "Software Update" without the "Automatic". It was sold as having i-Player so it would be nice to hear if ANYONE actually has it working.  P.S. I did the firmware update check - and the latest firmware makes no difference.

sonytjm
Explorer

Found it. It is NOT available yet. Look at

http://sonycic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/978

It says that the icon is there but Sony has not managed to make it work yet. So much for advice from the shops or the website marketing!

TLondoner
Visitor

Thanks Guys - it looks like we have to wait for update PKG4.074! as per the link above.

DougWeymouth
Visitor

Just purchased and installed KDL-32EX403 (32inch) and I-Player works fine even though I have not updated to latest Firmware PKG4.077EUL-0108 yet because that looks more of a hassle. I just connected my ethernet cable from my Broadband router to the TV and I-Player worked fine. Note I already had an ethernet cable connected to my satellite Humax box for I-player. Also able to get Demand 5 and Youtube and other broadband features OK. I did not buy the Sony WIFI dongle at £75.

Just wondering what your setup is for broadband.

I did have to check the settings on my broadband router to ensure that it recognised the Sony TV as I have settings that only allow certain IP addresses.

Also able to connect the Sony through to public files on my laptop to view picture, videos and play music although I did have to fiddle around with the network settings a bit.

All good fun but a hassle trying to get your mind around everything without full instructions.

Good luck

robhurn
Visitor

I'd just upgraded to software version PKG4.077 EUL-0108 (because Sony emailed me to tell me to do so, so I could use the internet link), but still can't get iPlayer working. Does anyone know if PKG4.077 EUL-0108 supersedes and/or includes PKG4.074?

Question: Can I plug my KDL-32EX403 directly into my (Virgin) ntl 250 modem or do I need a router as well? I've unplugged ethernet cable from PC and plugged it into the TV, and got various messages about my IP address, but no link to iPlayer.

historynut
Visitor

I have the same model KDL32EX703U and have encountered the same problems. I phoned the Sony helpline and they have told me to leave the TV on standby overnight and the new software upgrade (PKG4.074) should be done during that time.

If the upgrade is not successful I've been advised to log on to sony.co.uk/support and do a firmware download. This is to be transfered to a blank USB stick and then connected to the TV to do a forced upgrade. 

TLondoner
Visitor

Guys,  I checked my TV again last night and it now has BBC iPlayer working.  (I should say that previously UTtube and other Internet channels did work - so I did know my internet connection was working - others should check this).  I also checked the firmware and I have the PKG4.077EUL-0108 update (I may have had this before anyway).  So be patient and as long as your network connection works you should get the player - which incidentally looks very good in standard and high definition mode (standard is better than analog TV).

sonytjm
Explorer

Following call from Sony - checked firmware OK, ran the "settings+ network+ refresh internet content" and iPlayer worked. I had done this the day before more than once and it had not worked. Strange. Do not give up - it looks good.

Meanteam
Visitor

I've been having a problem today with the iPlayer on a KDL-32EX403.

It was working fine first thing when I watched the first F1 practise session. A short while later and now for the last six hours or so, when I go into iPlayer I briefly see a message saying "File not found", followed by "Temporarily cannot access the server. Please retry"

Does the TV have to go through a Sony service to get to the iPlayer? If so, is there anywhere to check the service status?

Cheers,

Chris