Join now - be part of our community!

Best quality connection legacy DVD to Bravia KDL-32WD752 - component to SCART or convert to HDMI?

profile.country.GB.title
Trinitron42

Best quality connection legacy DVD to Bravia KDL-32WD752 - component to SCART or convert to HDMI?

I have a legacy DVD which outputs component video via SCART (and has S-Video and composite outputs also). I believe component video is best quality of the choices. Does the Bravia SCART input accept component? If so, does it upscale internally? Or am I better to go via an external component > HDMI converter?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Hopefully a community member will be able to help.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
Trinitron42

I was rather hoping that someone from Sony would answer this question. I'm not sure who else would know how the TV deals with RGB presented at the SCART socket. It's not a hard question and anyone half competent in Sony Technical should be able to advise.

profile.country.PT.title
huconce
Expert

Hi @Trinitron42 

I think you better stick with SCART adapter (IF you don't want a new player with HDMI), because you are going to be limited to the DVD resolution anyway, the TV will upscale the content but it will go so far...

And for experience those RCA to HDMI are expencive and the quality is the same, and for you are spending on that adapter a bit more and you get a new player...

Hope I helped

Cheers

Hugo C.

profile.country.GB.title
Trinitron42

After four replies from Sony Customer Service with incorrect and misleading information, I phoned them and found a terrifying lack of technical knowledge (they insisted that RGB component was nothing to do with TV even when I pointed out RBG was mentioned in their manual for this TV). I asked to speak to a supervisor / manager. After a day or so, he rang back and confirmed he thought RGB was supported on the SCART and would check. Later, I received an email which said 

Please note that after checking the specifications of the TV, we can confirm that the TV's 21-pin SCART connector (CENELEC standard) supports RGB input.

I don't know why it took so much effort to find this out. Sony really should do better. I will be checking this when I configure the DVD accordingly and report results.

profile.country.GB.title
Trinitron42

because you are going to be limited to the DVD resolution anyway, the TV will upscale the content

That's what I was thinking. I've linked it up for a quick test and seems pretty good. I will check the configuration and test when I have more time. I'm sticking with this kit if I can as it's legacy audiophile (Meridian 596) and use it for CDs as well.

profile.country.PT.title
huconce
Expert

I'm sticking with this kit if I can as it's legacy audiophile (Meridian 596) and use it for CDs as well.

Ohh ok.. I understand.

But for what I see about that player, is that it's not RCA but BNC connectors, so even more complicated...

profile.country.GB.title
Trinitron42

Hi Hugo C. There are 3 versions of this player. Mine has SCART, S-Video, composite. So my first question was to find which of these were best, and whether to get the signal into the Sony by a relevant lead to the SCART or by external HMDI converter into the HDMI. Two questions, really, which is the best signal to start with and then where is the best conversion - internal to TV or external device. I find that the Meridian is configurable to output RGB on it's SCART output so RGB is best - the first question then becomes, does the Sony TV support RGB input on SCART (the standard says it should but that is not always 100% followed)? If the quality is good, then I won't bother with external conversion. If it's not acceptable, I can try external conversion. If you're interested, there's more info about the 596 on this link http://www.meridian-audio.info/show.php?compid=155 And the reason I went this route is I have Meridian legacy audio amp, FM tuner and CD but the CD died irreparably and this matching 596 became available which would do DVD as well as CD.
profile.country.PT.title
huconce
Expert

Yeah I think the best choice in this case is to use the SCART cable (a good one), let the TV do the heavy lifting (video upscaler), and setup your player weith best settings (you know him better then I do :sweat_smile:)..

If you are going but buy HMDI converter, you gonna pay alot for a good one and what you get in return is diminishing..

Cheers

Hugo C.

profile.country.GB.title
Trinitron42

Yes - that's the plan. I need a new remote to access the config menu - that's on the way - so will have a chance to test in a few days. On frst (SCART) connection, it looks pretty good. But without access to the config menu, I don't know whether it's been set to output composite or RGB. The ultimate queston is whether an external £50 device is better than the internal Sony conversion/upscale. If the internal is good, i probably won't bother with external.

The SCART cable was pretty tight to fit into 2m of trunking. A benefit to this is that it frees up HDMI 2 which I can use for my streaming device display (JRiver Id).

More later :slight_smile: