Join now - be part of our community!

Blinkbox, Netflix, iTunes, iPlayer

profile.country.en_GB.title
slodown
Visitor

Blinkbox, Netflix, iTunes, iPlayer

Hi

After purchasing my Sony KDL40EX I am very disappointed that it will not connect to Netflix or Blinkbox.
Other "smart" TVs (Samsung, LG, Philips, Toshiba) have this connectivity - why not Sony?

Secondly, the iPlayer on "Bravia Internet Video" does not play all the iPlayer programmes available using a PC.
I understand that playing through a VGA to VGA (PC socket) is possible but this degrades video quality substantially.

Finally, are there any plans to allow iTunes to be played through "Bravia Internet Video"?

Regards,

Slodown

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

My advice to any and everyone has always been to research the product thoroughly before purchasing to ensure that it suits your requirements. This avoids being disappointed later on. It has been common knowledge for sometime that Netflix will not be on Sony TV;s older than 2012. Just to inform you, Netflix is available on Sony TV's, from 2012 onwards.

In regards to the iPlayer, that is up to the BBC on what it shows via a PC or TV Application. Only the BBC can answer why this descepancy is. But as a guess, it would be due to the silly copyright laws that exist. Similar to why YouTube is different on a PC to a TV.

To connect my Laptop to the TV, I use the HDMI Out port on my laptop, this gives full resolution. But thats assuming you have a HDMI out port. You may have a DVI out port on your PC/Laptop, which is better than VGA, and therefore only need a DVI to HDMI cable.

iTunes, That;s up to a Sony Rep to answer that one :slight_smile:

I know that most of this is not the answers you want. Im just trying to put it in context thats all.

Cheers.

HORTILOG
New

I have a KDL-37V5810 - Same problem - no Blinkbox.  TV only just out of warranty.  Now obselete?  Will buy a new TV in 2014 - Definately NOT Sony.  Why they can't offer this added value is beyond me. Very disappointing - perhaps Blinkbox etc can exercise some clout with Sony !!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Batfinkk

Do any 2009 TV's from other manufactuers support current online video services? iPlayer on this device is the only exception and the colours of the menu's are ghastly as this was hacked together by the BBC to work, its not based around any current standards like HTML..