Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia 48wd653bu Web Browser

Turbot1
New

Bravia 48wd653bu Web Browser

Can someone please confirm if there is a browser somewhere on this TV... or have I been sold a tv I cant access the internet on.other than youtube or netflix

thanks

if no browser is there any way of adding a www app?

Or how do I stream internet from my i phone 6??

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I can confiem that there is no inbuilt browser for this tv.  To stream from an iPhone, you need an AppleTV device.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

I can't really see the point of a 'smart' TV without a web browser. Having had a problem with her LG TV (which had a web browser) and also klittle help from LG customer services, my Mum decided not to replace the LG with another but to change brands. I went with her to Costco and saw the Sony 48WD65 and thought it would be a good replacement. I said to mum that being a smart TV we could still do our family tree on Ancestry.com as we had on the LG. How wrong I could be!! As for some strange reason and unlike most other manufacturers there is NO BROWSER!! (Falls down in confusion) . With that in mind it seems we have made a big mistake buying the Sony though supposedly the market leader.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @zeus1958uk

I understand how you feel, however the WD65 range are a budget 'smart' tv.  I dont like the term 'smart tv' myself, but its a marketing buzzword for internet connected TV.  Sony, like all manufacturers sell TVs at different price points.  To meet this price point, certain features/functions are either included or excluded. 

In your case, if a certain feature is a must, you really need to either ask the retailer or do some research before purchasing.  This ensures that you are not disappointed upon purchasing/using the TV.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your reply. However the other TV (the LG) was slightly cheaper than the Sony but had a browser so really Sony ought to be competing with other manufacturers. the wall bracket points are badly placed too as the TV sits rather high because the anchor points are so low and the bottom of the wall bracket is visible below the Tv. With the LG it was amidships which was ideal. Personally I'd have just swapped the LG anyway but Mum wanted to change on that day having taken the LG back so no research was possible but then 'smart' should mean fully operational on the internet and not with bits missing (i.e. browser etc). I appreciate what you were saying about it being 'budget' but if Sony's 'budget' Tvs are dearer than other manufacturers such as the LG we took back and the 'budget' TV from Sony have limited capability but the competitors don't then many with a bit of research will buy elsewhere. I usually research my HifI or any appliance for that matter, read reviews the whole lot I just wish I'd had more time before choosing this one for Mum. I'm posting my feeling re no browser where I can so others don't make the same mistake as I did. I do regret buying Sony now especially as it was for Mum. Had it had an rgb connection as my own TV has then I could have hooked the computer up to it and solved the problem of no browser temporarily while whenever we wanted to do the Ancestry.com thing. Mum's not really an internet person so that solutiuon would have worked though a bit of a fiddle everytime I wanted to use the internet on the big screen so we can both see it. Sadly none of those either.

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

p.s. I like your profile pic!