Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia connection between KDL50W829 and Sony HT-XT1 soundbase

SOLVED
jak008
Explorer

Bravia connection between KDL50W829 and Sony HT-XT1 soundbase

I have recently purchased a KDL50W829 and a Sony HT-XT1 soundbase. I have connected them as per the guides using an ARC HDMI cable and also via optical. When I go to bravia sync the soundbase is not found. The sound is output via sound system in the TV settings but the only way to control the volume is by the small remote control that came with the base, the TV remote doesn't work with the base. The settings on the base are correct also, HDMI control is Auto(also tried On) and ARC on. I have a humax freesat tuner connected to the base and on certain channels I can control the volume via its own remote but others its fixed however mute works on all channels. Also certain channels sound outputs are higher than other for example HD over SD channels which is really annoying as you constantly have to adjust the volume depending on which channel you watch. Can anyone suggest something more constructive than what Sony support has suggested, ie check your connections and turn it on and off! I have also done a reset on both systems.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jak008
Explorer

I have fixed my with help from Sony support.

Sony suggested that I should remove AC power from the TV for 30 seconds and disconnect all HDMI inputs apart from the link between base/TV via ARC HDMI 2 and then power up. This instantly activated the sound system immediately. Then it was just a matter of connecting 1 x input at a time until the problem re-occurs, in my instance it was an android TV box I had connected that had CEC enabled this caused a communications failure between the TV and soundbase.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It is a normal behaviour that you don't see th HT itself in the sync menu list: it only disply each device that is attached to the soundbar. 

One thing that you should check is if bravia sync is enabled in the TV and eventually try disabling and reenabling it. One thing that you didn't mention is if the soundbar switch on/off automatically with the TV (that it should do if bravia sync is enabled: in this case there should be no reason why the volume control doesn't work --- could it be that humax is interferring? Have you tried without it connected to the soundbar? mysky decoders has been reported has introducing problems with bravia sync...)

Regarding the different volume that you have on different channels strictly depens on the channes themselves. Probably some HD channel may have Dolby Digital audio that may have different characteristics from standard stereo on SD channel. You may try if something change using a different sound field (i.e. Clearaudio+ vs Movie).

Remember that you can also use the app Home Theatre Control on the TV to set the soundbar options completely avoiding the use of its remote.

jak008
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

The soundbase only responds to its own remote control, when I power the TV
off the base remains powered on. Incidentally I did try to bravia sync my
PS3 directly with the TV, that doesn't work either. I'm tending to think
this is a problem with the TV, what do you think?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Remove the optical cable.  With HDMI-ARC you no longer need the optical cable, and this is possibly where the confusion lays.  Ensure that you have a newish HDMI cable as the older ones may not support the ARC functions.  HDMI 1.4 and above are the specs for the HDMI cable.

Cheers

jasebpt
Explorer

Quinnicus, apologies for hijacking this thread but I have a sort of related isssue.   I have just purchased a KDL-50W8 and I cannot get it to sync with my HUMAX foxsat HDR.  Consequently I am using three remotes! One for the Bravia's Smart functionality, the other for HUMAX and the last for the volume from my Sony RHT-G800 (I know, old but still good)! Ideas?

jak008
Explorer

I have had my base into my local Sony repair centre today, apparently
nothing wrong with the base. Next step is to check some different
configurations then we'll take it from there.
jasebpt
Explorer

You've had the same issue?

jak008
Explorer

I have fixed my with help from Sony support.

Sony suggested that I should remove AC power from the TV for 30 seconds and disconnect all HDMI inputs apart from the link between base/TV via ARC HDMI 2 and then power up. This instantly activated the sound system immediately. Then it was just a matter of connecting 1 x input at a time until the problem re-occurs, in my instance it was an android TV box I had connected that had CEC enabled this caused a communications failure between the TV and soundbase.

Good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
Gruppy63
Explorer

I am having the same type of problem. My issue is with a HUMAX Digital Recorder interfering with the BRAVIA Sync functionality.

The problem is not solved if you can not use your Digital Recorder with the TV. Should not the Sony TV / Sound Base not work with a none Sony product connected to the spare HDMI inputs?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gruppy63

Ive had a bit of a search, it appears a fault with Humax implementation of HDMI-CEC

Have a browse on their forums, especially:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdmi-cec-compatibility

Cheers