Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia 'forgets' where photos folder is on networked HDD

profile.country.en_GB.title
JimG666
Explorer

Bravia 'forgets' where photos folder is on networked HDD

My new Bravia KDL-26EX553 will initially 'see' and play all of my network-shared videos, music files and photos from the 'WD My Book' network drive that I have WiFi networked, but after turning off the tv overnight, (leaving the router and network drive powered), the TV apparently 'forgets' which folder the photos are in, looking for them in the folders in the 'Shared Videos' section of the network hard drive. Seems like the only way I can (temporarily) restore the correct working is to 'factory reset' the TV and re-set it up to the WiFi network from scratch, but that only lasts for a single session. The videos and music files remain all identified and play perfectly, but the TV seems to be looking for jpegs where jpegs ain't stored, and unsurprisingly can't find any!  This strikes me as a Bravia software problem, since my PS3 can reliably find all 3 types of media and play them (on a different, non-HD television) without a hitch.

Ideas anyone?

I have also submitted details to Support, but wonder if the forum might be quicker.

JimG666

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
JimG666
Explorer

My update on this, in case anybody has similar problems: The Western Digital 'Mybook World' network drive had firmware which had not been auto-updated for a couple of years, and the 'Twonky' media server software included in the firmware was a very early version. After updating the firmware and playing around with settings for this media server via the WD control panel, I was able to eventually find a parameter set that works very well. The only nitpicky drawback now is that the selection menu now has several tree-like layers, so 'Photos' have to be selected, then the network drive, then the folder, then photos again - a few extra operations, but then it works great. Sound to accompany the slideshow needs similar extra selection clicks of the remote, but slideshows then look/sound fabulous. I found variable delays between pictures are eliminated by leaving the tv in standby, rather than fully off, since the off state shuts down WiFi, apparently preventing the Bravia and the network drive from keeping the database fresh.

Now very pleased with my purchase.

JimG