Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-26EX wireless internet connection has stopped working

profile.country.en_GB.title
John191100
Explorer

Bravia KDL-26EX wireless internet connection has stopped working

I have had this TV for about eight months and the wireless internet connection has been working fine, but has now stopped. When I attempt to reconnect via the Network Settings screens using Scan for wireless networks then Auto options I can see my correct router SSID name and a strong signal, but still the connection fails. Meanwhile I have two computers connected to the same wireless router which work fine. I have reset my TV to original factory settings, but still no joy. Urgent solution needed please. John Attree

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You are missing a few numbers off the model number of the TV.  Anyhow, I can only think of password issues?  Are you typing the password in correctly using the correct Upper/Lower case letters (if applicable)?

Cheers

John191100
Explorer

Thanks for the thought. I have now tried every conceivable combination of upper and lower case versions of the password without success (my computers are fine with lower case passwords only). As a last resort, I have removed security from my wi-fi network altogether and the television now connects perfectly with the internet. So clearly there was some technical issue in that area, but I have been unable to isolate it. I will try re-installing security on the network when I have some spare time and energy available.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my fingers crossed for you :four_leaf_clover:  Please let us know how you get on.  It does seem like its a password issue though

John191100
Explorer

I have tried again, now with security enabled on my home wireless network, and once again I can't get my TV to connect. Brief details are:

- Full TV model number KDL-26EX553.

- My network consists of two laptops, one desktop an internet radio and this Bravia served by a Cisco Linksys wi-fi WRT54G router. All computers and radio connect with network but not the TV. Security is WPA-PSK TKIP with passphrase.

- On the Bravia I go to Settings then Network. When I Check the Network status, I see the router SSID and all data looks OK except the signal strength which is null (dash sign). But when I then go through the network setup process, the Scan stage finds my router with its correct SSID and shows an apparently strong four-bar signal. When I complete the process (whether Auto or Manual), the final status reported is that the network adaptor on the TV is OK but everything else has failed. I have triple-checked the password and it is identical (characters and case) with the password used on the computers and radio.

Help appreciated please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Time for a new router at some point - getting pretty old?

How far away is your router to the TV?  Are you able to skip wireless altogether and go for an ethernet cable, or even homeplugs instead?

Cheers

John191100
Explorer

Thanks for the thought but: since all my other kit - some of it brand new eg the Compaq laptop and the Roberts iStream radio - work perfectly on this network, my finger of suspicion points towards the Bravia. The laptop picks up the wi-fi signal strongly when it is in the same room as the TV, which is next door through a stud wall to the router. Why does the router signal show up srtongly when I do the Scan function as part of the Bravia network setup routine, but is completely absent when I do the network status report moments later, I wonder?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont really know how the SSID is broadcast, however when scanning available networks, your device will pick up other SSID devices, even though the signal strength is low or next to non-existance.  I can only assume that the raw SSID information is broadcast slightly different.

You could try using a program called inSSIDer to see what if there are any other available wifi channels that are not in use or little used.  Your issues could be due to a crowded wifi channel.

The TV could be in a bit of a dead-zone, or there is electrical interference in that particular area.  The wifi power output on the TV is probably lower than what is on your laptop.

http://www.inssider.com/

Cheers

John191100
Explorer

I have now tried moving my Bravia so that it is in the same room as and within two feet of the wireless router. As before, when I go through the wi-fi network setup process Scan stage I see a strong signal from the router, but the setup fails. When I attach the TV direct to the router using an ethernet cable it connects to the internet and everything works fine. All four of my other wi-fi networked devices (two laptops, a desktop and an internet radio) work fine with the internet through my router from various rooms in the house, so I still do not understand why the Bravia fails. Do I need a replacement?     

Anonymous
Not applicable

@John191100 wrote:

Do I need a replacement?     

Now that is a good question indeed.  I cannot answer that one.  You have done all the troubleshooting stuff, confirming that it is a wireless issue with the TV.  Now whether this is a hardware issue with the TV itself..... (ie dicky wireless).

Unfortunately I dont think I can help any further.  I think its time to contact Sony directly on this matter - Just explain the steps you have taken thus far.

See contact details : HERE

Good Luck.

Cheers