Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia W6 - Acceptable level of banding? [fixed, got a new tv]

SOLVED
jannepok
Explorer

Bravia W6 - Acceptable level of banding? [fixed, got a new tv]

How much so called banding effect can you see on your W6 sets? My KDL-42W653A has 8 darker lines that are visible from time to time. And when it happens, it's really distracting. An easy way to check this is to go to the YouTube app and look at the grey background.

I'd return my set to Sony webstore, but unfortunately I didn't have time to test it straightaway, and sent the complaint to Sony three weeks from getting the TV. Disappointingly that's 2 days after the 30 day return period, which is counted from the date of payment, and Sony won't take it back.

But what do you say, isn't this a manufacturing error? I think a problem like this should be covered by the warranty... Sony support says that this is typical for all LED TVs.

Here's a still image from the title sequence of the tv series The Bridge on Netflix (Super HD):

kuva.JPG

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jannepok
Explorer

Here's an update from one happy customer: I sent the tv to be checked at InfoCare, where Sony does its repairs here in Finland. They agreed that the set needs to be changed, and today I got a new W653 from Sony. And it's just about perfect!

I have to say that I'm very pleased with the service I got from the people at InfoCare. They kept me up-to-date the whole time. Thumbs up!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I would not be happy with that level of banding either, epecially watching sports.  Have you tried contacting Sony Support in regards to this issue?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/tvhc

Cheers

jannepok
Explorer

Hi! And thanks for your opinion.

I was wondering if I'm just asking too much from this mid-range tv. But on the other hand I can't see this problem on any of the W6s that the stores here have on display. A salesman said that everything doesn't seem to be ok with the set that I have.

Sony support said that this is a "feature/limitation" of all edge led televisions. And that I should pay attention to the room's brightness when adjusting the image. I could also try putting the ECO setting on low. But no, this doesn't help me get rid of the problem when watching football, for example. It's a pity, because I think otherwise  it's an excellent tv.

I sent them another e-mail now. Here's hoping that they can think of something else. Although I assume the problem lies in the panel itself... But if you have found some ways to remedy or help the problem, I'd be happy to hear your ideas!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive heard many reports in regards to banding on the W6 TV.  Its a brilliant TV for the price-point, but its a bit of a lottery in regards to getting the "perfect" TV.  This is kinda why you have that 30 day period.

Cheers

jannepok
Explorer

Here's an update from one happy customer: I sent the tv to be checked at InfoCare, where Sony does its repairs here in Finland. They agreed that the set needs to be changed, and today I got a new W653 from Sony. And it's just about perfect!

I have to say that I'm very pleased with the service I got from the people at InfoCare. They kept me up-to-date the whole time. Thumbs up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant.  Thank you for the update and I am glad everything worked out in the end.