Join now - be part of our community!

Can't load movie from USB stick

SOLVED
RyanV78
New

Can't load movie from USB stick

Hi - I've got a Sony Bravia SMART TV and am trying to watch a movie via a USB stick for the first time but its not working. I have followed the onscreen instructions and can see the directory within the USB drive that the movie is located in but when I try to progress into the directory I just get a message saying that there is nothing to view. I've borrowed the usb stick from a friend (to test that it works on my tv) who has a samsung tv and it works without any problems. The usb stick also has some music saved to it and I can load this without any problems.

Any advice hugely appreciated!

Regards

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RyanV78
New

Hi - I subsequently worked out that the USB works through my Blu ray player so I now get better sound through my home cinema too!

Regards
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Without knowing which model TV you have, I cannot advise further.  You will need to consult the support pages of the model TV, and look in the iManual or specifications for supported video formats and codecs.  You will then need to compare this to the video you have on the usb drive.  See media info : HERE for codec on USB drive

Cheers

RyanV78
New

Hi - thanks, its a Sony Bravia 46" HX85 3D Smart TV. I'll take a look at the link you sent too to see if I can unearth the issue.

Regards

Ryan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The model (KDL-46HX853) supports the following files:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/AE7H100511/ENG/usb_europe_ga_twn.html

Cheers

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Be aware that you have to tell the TV BEFORE looking at the folders with kind of content you are looking for (video, photo, music): if you see your music files for sure you cannot see video files!

RyanV78
New

Hi - I think this is the issue as I have just loaded the USB up on my
laptop and the file for the movie is in MKV format (no idea what that is!).
Is there a way to change it into a format that my TV recognises?

Thanks
Ryan
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Use a program called Handbrake : HERE (its free and I use it all the time).  It has a steep learning curve though, but once you get the hang of it, you can convert files in batch runs.

Ensure that you convert to one of the following supported formats/codecs for your TV:

Supported Formats.jpg

A couple of other resource pages:

http://www.pitivi.org/manual/codecscontainers.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

Cheers

PS: I recommend you converting to MP4 using the H264 codec.

RyanV78
New

Great stuff, I'll download the software later on and give it a go. Is there
any format specifically that you would recommend as being the best one to
convert to out of the ones that should work with my TV?

Regards
Ryan
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would convert to MP4 / H.264 because its supported on your TV, and has quite a big cross device support too.

RyanV78
New

Thanks a lot really appreciate your help 🙂

Regards
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone