Join now - be part of our community!

Carbon Footprint of manufacturing a TV

JLedbury
New

Carbon Footprint of manufacturing a TV

Hey guys,

I'm new here and was just wondering if anyone knew about the footprint of manufacturing a TV?

I can't seem to find any of this information anywhere, just the Carbon Footprint of watching TV

Cheers Guys

JL

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not surprised you cannot find any information on this.  This would be very difficult to calculate indeed, consider the following:

• Different companies manufacture different parts for the TV
  • Carbon footprint of the machinery to dig the raw materials required out of the ground (metals, silicon, oil etc)
  • The manufacturing process of turning the raw materials into usable parts (electronic chips, wires, plastics etc)
  • Shipping and transporting raw materials, processed materials, end product around the world

There is a load more that would need listing to calculate this, hence the problem of too many hands/companies to get any reliable data (even if they collected it)

Cheers

JLedbury
New

Yeah i have found it very hard so far. As part of the business i work for we are currently going "Green" and are looking at all of our inventory to try and calculate our initial footprint.

Thank you for your response, i will relay this information to my boss :slight_smile: