Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting the TV to aerial socket via an amplifier

profile.country.en_GB.title
Rockdiver63
Visitor

Connecting the TV to aerial socket via an amplifier

I have a Bravia (KDL 46EX503) which I want to hang on a wall. This will mean it is about 6M away from the aerial socket.

It has been suggested that I could connect this via an amp. I assume this is the amplifier of a sound system.

This presents me with a few more questions.

1. If I connect the TV to an amp, do I need to connect the TV to any other external unit? (both power and network sockets will be directly behind the TV when it is wall mounted.)

2. Can other units be connected to an amp, e.g. dvd player, x-box?

3. Are there any limitation / issues with an overall distance of 6M? TV to amp will be about 3M minimum.

Thoughts / comments on any / all of the above would be most welcome.

I only have an HD roof mounted aerial at the minute, although there is a cable point to the house - it is not live.

The house is fully networked (Cat5) and I would like to (ultimately) use that to transmit all sound / image / data around the house.

Thanks

Simon

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

The TV Aerial will go straight into the TV not via the amp. You can always get an optical cable to take the sound feed from the TV reception and send it into the amp.

1 & 2 Yes you can connect multiple devices to amplifiers, but ideally they should have HDMI sockets to make connecting easy and give you a good digital signal.

3. 6 meters should be ok. Have you tried connecting it with the cable at that distance already?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
jtonline.info
New

I may be wrong, but from the title of the article, I think it's more likely that the person you spoke to thought you might need an aerial amplifier to boost the signal from the aerial socket so that it travels over the six meters of coax cable to the back of the TV.

I don't think one would be necessary, but if you find the picture or sound breaks up you would just need to purchase an aerial amplifier with 1 input and 1 output from a DIY or electricals retailer.  Plug it into a mains socket, then run aerial coax cable from wall point to the amplifier input and another length from amplifier up to TV.