Join now - be part of our community!

DIGITAL ELECTRONIC PROGRAMME GUIDE (EPG)

alang498
Explorer

DIGITAL ELECTRONIC PROGRAMME GUIDE (EPG)

I have just replaced our Sony Bravia KDL32W5810 (Freesat tuner) with a KDL32WD756BU (Freeview tuner) and have a couple of questions.

I was very happy with the sound and picture quality from the old KDL32W5810 and the only reason for replacing was that a fault developed:

When switching the television on, the right hand side of the screen would be completely black. By tapping the back of the television several times in various places, the blackness would sometimes change to various light coloured stripes but after numerous taps the full picture would appear. The picture would then be perfectly OK for the duration of viewing but the situation would re-occur everytime the television was switched on.

I was advised that a repair would be expensive and that it would be better to replace the television - which we have done, however, I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong and if a repair is feasible ?

The Digital EPG on the old model (KDL32W5810. Freesat tuner) had the options of Timer REC or Reminder for a programme. I found the Reminder function very useful for selecting an evenings viewing with the television switching itself to each programme/channel.

The Digital EPG on our replacement model (KDL32WD756BU. Freeview tuner) only has the Timer REC function and there is no Reminder tab so it is impossible to input an evenings viewing and for the television to switch channels/programmes in accordance with the selections made.

The only difference between the installation of the models is that the old model with the Freesat tuner had the satellite dish cable straight to the input of the television, whilst the new model with the Freeview tuner has the aeriel cable going in to a dvd player/recorder and then out to the television.

Would anyone know if the EPG has been changed and no longer has the Reminder function ?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I know the 2015/2016 Android based TVs no longer have the reminder function.  It seems that the non-android based TVs have also had this feature removed.  I have had a look at the manuals associated with this TV, and there is no mention of this function - whereas on other years models, it was mentioned in the manuals.

I have already forwarded a request to Sony in regards to Android TVs having the reminder function implemented:

Reminder.jpg

I have added a comment to my original request to see if they can re-instate this function on non-android based TVs too.  If there is a call for it, im sure it can be done via a future FW update - the YouView issue above is different however, so ignore that part.

Cheers

alang498
Explorer

Thank you for the information.

I hope that this facility is re-instated as it was very useful.

alang498
Explorer

I e-mailed customer services at Sony UK a long time ago about the possibility of re-instating these parts of the EPG but never received a response.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alang498

Unfortunately Sony is not in the habit of sharing details on possible or current future plans - However the more people express interest in a particular feature, certainly helps.  Sony is aware of these requests, but I honestly wouldnt get my hopes up on it being implemented though 😢

Sony's automatic stance is basically this : If a feature was never advertised of being available, then the TV is functioning as per design.

alang498
Explorer

Thank you.

Such a shame that the facility was there on an earlier Bravia model but not on the latest.

profile.country.GB.title
GandVMansfield
Explorer

My Sony RDR-HX-D870 Recorder has suddenly stopped accessing the EPG altogether; and recently when the guide could be accessed it has failed to record.

The recorder is set up in conjunction with a Sony TV KDL- 40W2000 and this combination has always been trouble free In the past.

Could anyone advise - Is the fault in the Recorder or in the Telivision; and how can it best be identified and fixed?