Join now - be part of our community!

Feature Request - Renaming USB HDD recorded titles

profile.country.en_GB.title
dougajmcdonald
Visitor

Feature Request - Renaming USB HDD recorded titles

Hi There,

I have a request for a the Sony Bravia series which I believe would be helpful but relatively simple to impliment.

I use the USB HDD recording feature almost daily and with a relatively large HDD the number of titles can get quite large. What's annoying is that with the time recording often starting in the programme before the target programme it's often titled with a name which isn't that of the target programme (which makes things harder to find in the future).

My suggestion is one of the two following options:

A)  When a timer recording is set, the title should/could be taken from the target programme title on the programme guide, rather than the active programme when recording starts.

B) If A is unfeasible, the option to rename a title after recording would be immensely helpful. I would like to be able to rename my Match of the Day recordings for example to include the details of the game my team was playing against.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Regards,

Doug

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.ro_RO.title
blue2622
Visitor

any news? I'm stuck with my HDD full of false titles that I can't change them!! It's really a pain to search something there. If I knew from begining  is not implemented this simple logical function...

profile.country.da_DK.title
AudioDolph
Visitor

I agree with Doug!

Lets have an update that solves the naming problem.

I think solution A) should be straight forward to implement. The recording is actually give the name from the EPG when setting the time - so why is it changed?

- maybe its not a feature request - maybe its a bug fix request.

Torben

parsonspr
Explorer

Totally agree with this. We need to be able to rename HDD programmes.

mijewen
Explorer

I don't know why I'm taking the time to write this, because I have already discovered that Sony has no interest in customer concerns.  Because of their crass disregard, I have been writing to as many Internet forums, organisations such as Which, the BBC, etc, as I can to alert people.  If everybody does the same, Sony will realise that it does not hold a monopoly, but that it operates in a competitive environment, where customer concerns are as important as designing new equipment to generate sales.

I have the same problem, with getting false titles in my list of recorded programmes (only one of my problems).  I have a better solution, however.

The Bravia TV uses a microprocessor (a PIC processor, I believe), and as one who has implemented embedded microprocessor solutions, I have aome understanmding of how they work.  You can write all sorts of intelligence into a computer program - with the proviso, of course, that intelligence is applied to the writing of the code.

When you select a title for recording (let's say "Football Roundup", that title goes (correctly) into the list of programmes to be recorded. Lets call it List-1.  This list also contains the time at which the programme is due to start, and the time duration of the program to be recorded.

When the timer triggers, however, "Homes under the Hammer" is just finishing, and has 10 seconds still to run. In the list of recorded programs (List-2), it lists "Homes under the Hammer".  The recording contains 10 seconds of "Homes under the Hammer", followed by "Football Roundup".  After the duration of the program, the recording stops.

The problem can be much worse, however.  If I want to record "Fantastic Film with a twist at the end", which follows Football Roundup, but the football goes into extended time, so the timer triggers 10 minutes before the end of the football, then my recording starts with 10 minutes of a program football, which is of no interest to me, and 90 minutes later (the duration of the film) it stops.  Only, the film was delayed, so 10 minutes gets chopped off the end of it, giving all the pleasure of a book with the last 2 pages torn out.

We know that the original title is available in List-1.  We also know that the processor reads the title of the programme that is playing when the recording starts, because that's what it puts into List-2.  If the processor program was rewritten so that it waited for the two titles to be the same, then it would not start before the beginning of "Fantastic Film", even though it is delayed.  The end of the recording could be done in the same way, so that if you recorded Football Roundup, which is extended, the recording would continue till it finishes.

If there is an overlap between a delayed programme ending and the beginning of a different, non-delayed program to be recorded on another channel, then clearly, a compromise would have to be made - either record the end of one or the beginning of the other, but the user could be given this choice ahead of time by selecting a priority for a program (1 to 9).  If one program has a higher priority than another, then its recording would take precedence.

Message was edited by: mijewen

profile.country.da_DK.title
martinsonderholm
Visitor

I have to agree with all the above - and especially mijewen.

I have made a request to Sony as soon as I got my new TV set more than a year ago about these obvious flaws in the recording facility and the lack of being able to at least rename titles that make no sense. But SONY is totally silent and absolutely nothing has happend to solve these apparantly simple bugs.

It is strange than not more people have reacted to this - but nevertheless, SONY should do something about this the sooner the better.

mijewen
Explorer

I have been very dissatisfied by Sony's attitude to customer relations over this "wrong titles" issue.  It seems to me that the bottom layer of support, who interface with the customer, are terrified by the prospect of escalating to the layer above them.

I initially contacted Support about it about two years ago, and have kept up the correspondence tenaciously ever since.  I posted a YouTube clip of the issue, hoping to shame them into doing something about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8pIACClwGk

I even offered to change the software myself if they would give me a copy of the source code - but they wouldn't.

A concerted lobby from  dissatisfied customers might have got things moving a bit quicker, but my last communication  was ...

"In response to your query, I have passed your case to the senior who was dealing with the query in order to resolve the issue for you. You will be contacted as soon as an outcome has been released."

... so maybe - just maybe, something will happen - there may be a code update - but it has taken two years to get this far, so don't hold your breath........

mijewen
Explorer

At long last, I was called by a Sony Teck support supervisor in Egypt (after two years' communication with the customer-level support).  They found that my firmware was below par, and I was sent a memory stick with the latest firmware on it.  PKGH4.021EUA-0104

I didn't make any difference.

There's something I didn't know, and which I have not been able to find in the on-screen manual.  I have Automatic Software Updates turned on, and I had assumed that they would come over the TV broadcasts, the same as a lot of other digital information does - like the program information, for example.  Years ago, it was possible for individuals to advertise for romance, or items for sale, holidays, etc. on Teletext, so it seemed reasonable to me that a company would be able to come to an arrangement with a broadcaster such as the BBC to send a firmware update once in a while over the air-waves with the TV broadcast.  Not so!  Firmware will only be updated if the TV is connected to the Internet.  Otherwise, it can be downloaded and stored on a 4GB memory stick, and when it is plugged in to the TV, the TV detects it, and with no further action on the part of the user, the firmware level is updated.  It takes about 5 minutes, and there is an on-screen message to tell you when it has completed.

Unfortunately, as already stated, the latest firmware does not overcome

a) Incorrect titles on recorded programs

b) Starting recording while the previous program is still running and consuming recording time with unwanted material, so thet the end of the desired program is lost.

Whether it overcomes the partitioning problem on memory sticks, I do not know - but I would be very surprised if it does.

I will be in communication with the Egyptian support group again during the week.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Well, it's not an easy task, but here it is a workaround to change th wrong Title recorderded onto an HDD. It requires a small SQL knowledge (how to make a select and update statemente) and a small free software downlodable from the internet (SQLITE3)

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/hdd-recording-titles-disk-format-info/td-p/364820/highlig...