Join now - be part of our community!

Has anyone managed to stream from a windows 8 system?

profile.country.en_GB.title
iomman
Visitor

Has anyone managed to stream from a windows 8 system?

I have recently upgraded to a windows 8 computer and the music and pictures stream beautifully to my Bravia TV, the videos however are a different matter.

They are getting reconized and even come up as a picture on my screen but if you try to play them the little cursor spins round for a bit then a sign comes up saying "playback not available"

the only way i can get a video to play is to either make them into a movie which plays in a WMV (.wmv) file or convert the video into AVI (.avi) file but this takes an awful long time to do, is this the only way round it?

If I try to stream directly from DIVX or window media on my computer the little "Play to" box tells me that my lounge TV is not windows certified and the video has "an unexpected error" and won't play.

Looking on the Sony web site it seems that the video formats I am using are all ok to use with a sony Bravia TV, I tried the help line but they just sent me 3 pages of gumph that was not much help at all, I feel i am so close to getting this working and maybe its staring me in the face but I cannot believe that I need to reformat my entire video library.

Just checked the other formats that won't play and they are AVI (.AVI) if having the AVI in upper case makes a difference!, MP4 and WMV (.WMV) again is this case sensitive?

I do have an old WM file which does play on the TV but very badly but thats about it

Anyone out there with a bit more going for them than me that has sorted this out?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
iomman
Visitor

To bring this post to a conclusion, the results are good.

I can now watch my video's from my computer to my Sony Bravia TV ( which is wired by the way)

I just select Homestream on the video options on the TV although the old options are still present they obviously do not work. Homestream is also an option on my pictures and music but i don't use it as the old standard system works fine.

There is a down side though ( is'nt there always?)

The homestream will not work if the computer is in sleep mode, I have discovered that the original system will wake up the computer if you select it and then you can go back to Homestream and it works fine, until the computer slips back into sleep mode, at which point you need to select the original system again to wake it up.

just as well my video's are not very long, to watch a film like this would be a major pain in the ***.

I have looked at the settings on Homestream and it says control is enabled but maybe I need to look a bit deeper.

It is a vast improvement on what it was, to be honest it was all a bit of a suprise that I had the option to veiw pictures, music and videos on my TV anyway so I should be happy but i did feel that something was'nt right.

If anyone has any other options that I am missing or just plainly don't know about please feel free to enlighten me.

Many thanks to all that have contributed and hope it is of some help to others, if I can help I will, but don't count on it, I really am an amateur as far as all this is concerned

Message was edited by: -Soup-

edit for language