Join now - be part of our community!

HDD performance check

profile.country.HR.title
the_shredder

HDD performance check

Greetings everyone.

I have Bravia KDL-37EX720, HDD Seagate ST316021 5SCE and INTER-TECH SinanPower HDD case.

When i do following: HOME→[System Settings]→[Recording Set-up]→[HDD performance check]

It responds something like that the performance test was not successful. HDD may not support the full function set.

I’ve informed myself a bit on USB 2.0. Although in theory the speed is 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s), the data transfer rate is around 30 MB/s. (Maybe I'm misinformed?)

The test I did with HD Tune shows that my disc in case has max 31.3 MB/s, min 30.1 MB/s, average 30.7, Access time 23.6 ms, Burst rate 30.3 MB/s.

Also, TV does not want to record HD channel (and is not protected). It shows red pause || and nothing happens. The recording of SD channel works normal.

So, here are my questions:

1. What does it mean “HDD may not support the full function set”?

2. Is it related to HD recording bug?

3. Is my HDD in this case to slow? (And why? Sony does not have USB 3.0 or e-sata, so technically USB 2.0 is the best I can do.)

Thanks in advanced!

Message was edited by: the_shredder

Message was edited by: the_shredder

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
tetrapackage
Visitor

Using any high-speed flash drives actually works. With regards to HDD, I have seen that there a lot of these type of storage don't work on this model of Bravia.

profile.country.HR.title
the_shredder

Thank you for answer, but I don't have big enough flash drive. But I'm still curious about all the things I've asked. Why is my HDD inadequate? Because of speed?  What does it mean “HDD may not support the full function set”? Is it related to HD recording bug?

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

I have a WD (Westen Digital) Elements Desktop 1 TB usb 2.0 on the same Bravia model, and it has worked fine and with no remarks in the HDD performance test either. Now after I had my TV for repair and also plugged the HD into a PC (to view only) in the meanwhile, the HDD performance test suddenly respond with same remark as yours.

Have you registered the HD before you did the test ( I don't recall if  it's possible not to) ?

I suspect a re-registration would fix my issue, but then I'll loose my previous saved takings.

profile.country.HR.title
the_shredder

Nielsen wrote:

Have you registered the HD before you did the test ( I don't recall if  it's possible not to) ?

I did. Not only that, i have used another seagate disc but with more cache. Same result.