Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI connections

profile.country.en_GB.title
jampark79
Explorer

HDMI connections

My KDL-42W805 Tv  HDMI sockets are prone to Electro Magnetic Interference , the set is intermitantly unstable .Only  HDMI leads fitted with EMI supresion e.g. ferrites will work. This interference was only generated by my DVD recorder with a hard drive, I tried 3 recorders all with the same affect .

Is this a design fault or a circuit fault

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Interesting....  I have been experimenting with a W807 today, and had an issue with a HDMI cable with an electrical problem - plugged the HDMI cable from AV Receiver to TV and receive a low voltage zap.  Threw HDMI cable away and replaced it with another one, works fine.

Could you have faulty HDMI cables?  EMI interferrence is like wifi issues - difficult to find exact resolution.  Have you considered the aerial lead ??

Considering that you have a HDMI cable with a ferrite core, im assuming the issue is then resolved?

Anyway, as far as im aware, there has been no mass-reportings or other reportings (except yours)

Cheers

jampark79
Explorer

Thank you for your reply Quinnicus, all my HDMI leads are of good Quality  my Dvd recorder is Panasonic the effect does not occur with my Panasonic Dvd player.

Please explain your mention about checking the Aerial the reciver is fed from a aerial amp.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am cluching at straws with the aerial cable, but it can be a source of interferrence if you have a ratty old aerial cable - which just "may" effect the HDMI connection/cable.  As they are cheap anyhow, maybe consider a swap around or even a shielded aerial cable.

Just a thought anyhow.

jampark79
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus the main source of aerial interference I have found comes from the co-axial plug .Allot of installers just put the central wire into the plug pin without soldering or crimping the wire, after a time the copper wire oxidises and the connection acts as a diode and picks up interterence. In the days of rubber cables the wire had to be tinned to stop the sulpher in the rubber attacking the copper.