Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI with Ethernet

profile.country.en_GB.title
gillyalan
Visitor

HDMI with Ethernet

I am trying to connect my KDL32P2530 TV to my Dell inspiron 1525 with a new HDMI high speed with Ethernet cable. The instructions look simple but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Catmambo
Contributor

I'm not sure Ethernet over HDMI is supported by the TV. My understanding is its an optional feature on HDMI 1.4 spec, but someone else can probably confirm....

gillyalan
Visitor

But I thought that HDMI 1.4 was meant to be backwards compatible. So even if it doesn't do any ethernet things it should still connect video and audio and be ready for when I next update the TV?

Catmambo
Contributor

Does this TV have 1.4 or 1.3 HDMI - my guess is 1.3 still as its not a 3D model?

gillyalan
Visitor

O.K. sounds as though I need a lesson in HDMI....Even if it fits, an HDMI cable is not necessarily an HDMI cable!

I thought that if I bought the latest HDMI cable it would work and still be useable when I updated the TV.

Too simple huh?

Can you tell me what I should have bought to do the job?

Catmambo
Contributor

Any HDMI cable can stream video from your PC to your TV if thats all you are trying to do. No-one AFAIK ( and happy to be corrected etc) has implemented internet connection sharing via HDMI yet.

If your PC is connected to the Internet and you are outputing the video signal via HDMI, you can then browse the web via your TV,

thanks

gillyalan
Visitor

I am only trying to use the TV as another bigger screen.

gillyalan
Visitor

So other than the new cable being faulty. No ideas?

Catmambo
Contributor

If you have connected the two via HDMI and pressed Fn+F7 or however you trigger the laptop to output via HDMI and changed the input on the TV, it should work.

profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

Ok, I see you understand each other on the end and that is good, but I will use topic to give interesting info link for 1.4 hdmi cable with all around it.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#5

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hec.aspx

Regards

Damac