Join now - be part of our community!

Homestream: Sharing your photos, music and movies with connected devices

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Homestream: Sharing your photos, music and movies with connected devices

Dear HomeStream users,

Thanks for your interest in HomeStream!

Sorry, but the HomeStream software is no longer being updated and is no longer available to download from this site.

Any Versions you may have previously downloaded should continue to work as before, so please continue to share any feedback, questions or comments you have on those Versions.

You can find out more information on the past versions of Homestream in the post and discussions below.

Thanks again for your interest,

Your Sony team

Original post:

Very simply, if you've struggled with sharing photos music and movies from your Mac or PC with your connected Sony device, this software will make it much easier. Built on the tried and tested Serviio platform, the software has been optimised and tweaked to work with Sony hardware, including BRAVIA, PS3, Blu-ray players.

Changelog

V1.0 - Launch version

V1.1 - Amended installation process to make it clearer.

Added support for photos editied in Photoshop at full quality - YCbCr 4:4:4 which isn't natively support.

56 REPLIES 56
guzzirob
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Catmambo. That being the case, I would have expected it occour on a regular basis. But as its only happened two maybe three times since I installed Homestream and the TV last month.

There is a power reduction option on the router but this is disabled.  I have not checked the TV settings to see if there is a timeout option, would be surprised if there was any though.

Bernie-the-Bolt

Have you managed to stream anything via Serviio wirelessly? Is your PC hard wired to your hub? I have found that, in my experience, the PC's Wifi isn't 'man' enough to push the data from it to the hub, then to the TV. In my case I am using home plugs, as per my guide here; https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/714067

Slightly different set-up to your wireless TV from the hub but I suspect this issue is the PC hub connection.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Catmambo
Contributor

+1 To Bernie's answer. Streaming is always more robust over hard wired (Ethernet/Homeplug/Powerline)

Always a good deal on them for under £30 at one retailer - see below link for the latest.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=homeplug&category=0&type=1&date_range=30&sor...

Hope this helps

guzzirob
Visitor

Thanks Bernie. The main PC is hardwired to the modem/router, and the TV is just another wireless device thats connected to that modem. I have a theory that the problem happens when the modem drops/loses sync. This seems to happen periodicly and I am starting to think it may be related. So I'm going to keep an eye on that.

I do like your idea of the homeplug gadgets, never even thought about using them. But that said, I dont really have any problems streaming media to the TV, be it stored on PC or web based.

Bernie-the-Bolt

Are you trying to stream HD films/content? I have found that over my wired system, using home plugs rated at 85 Mps, HD files are too large to stream smoothly and stutter. May be this is the issue as it appears to be intermittent with selected media.

The Sony USB Wireless LAN Adaptor UWA-BR100 has a 54 Mbps Transmission Speed.

I suspect the transmission speed is the cause of your problems when streaming high bandwidth files.

Regards

guzzirob
Visitor

Bernie, I think you might need to read my original post again. I have no problem streaming media of any kind.

Its just the issue of the Homestream being shown as disconnected on the TV, despite the fact that the software on the PC shows it as connected.

Bernie-the-Bolt

OK, you got me! I suggest that you go to the Serviio forum and sound them out as this is what it is based on.

Regards

guzzirob
Visitor

I have just been reading an interesting old post on there from someone with a similar problem. The problem was caused by the router assigning different IP addresses to devices after a power off of all devices.

The solution being to fix the IP address of all items connected.

It might take a while, but I will give it a go...........

Bernie-the-Bolt

Didn't think of this. I have disabled automatc DHCP on my router and assigned each device a specific address. I had read many moons ago that this could occur. I wished to ensure that it didn't and, using a DLNA media server, it needs to know which device is the master device, and which are 'slaves'. Otherwise there was a tendency for the software to decide for itself (and, invariably, get it wrong!).

It took me 18 months to find the right information for my problems so persevere. You'll find it when your not necessarily looking for it (as I did, having given up on DLNA connectivity). I daren't get another router now as I've spent too much time getting this one right!

Bawmer
Visitor

Best DLNA server I've tried so far BUT i just cannot see how to implement audio playlists.

I have a playlist in another folder within my music folder in both m3u and wpl formats but my Bravia client does not have a playlists folder displayed nor does there appear to be an option to siplay it from the presentation tab in the Homeshare console.