Join now - be part of our community!

How do I enable Online HD Content? (KDL-37EX503)

profile.country.GB.title
gohan2091
New

How do I enable Online HD Content? (KDL-37EX503)

Hi,

My Sony KDL-37EX503 TV has the latest firmware and is connected to my fibre optic Internet via Ethernet cable. I have options to via services such as Youtube, iPlayer and AOL. These services work fine, however HD content does not seem to be working on any of these services.

As an example, I go to Youtube, search for the word "HD" and click on several videos that the results return and they are all in SD. in BBC iPlayer, I have the option to view a TV show "in high quality", however this is not in HD either, it's clearly SD. Every video I click on the AOL service is also in SD. I know my TV can handle HD as via digital, HD channels such as ITV HD and BBC HD work fine.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

iPlayer on this particular generation of device doesn't offer a true HD option I'm afraid, justa slightly higher bitrate I think. BBC stopped developing this particular flavour option to put resources into the newer version 3 which is the standard version deploayed on all current TV's.

Bear in mind Freeview HD is received and processed differently to HD content delivered over IP which is dependent of the application itself, so its not down to the speed of your broadband. I'm sure the Youtube application had an update a little while back to allow it to handle HD content so I'm suprised you are saying you aren't having any joy with it. Are you checking it against a video which you know is available in HD by confirming on a PC for example?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
gohan2091
New

Yes, I am trying many clips named "HD" in the title, some I know 100% are HD on my PC and on my Panasonic TV. It's as if my Youtube service on this TV is an old version that doesn't allow HD content. What can I do? TV is using the latest firmware.