Join now - be part of our community!

Integrated WiFi compatibility on Smart TV

profile.country.en_GB.title
splovett
Visitor

Integrated WiFi compatibility on Smart TV

I have been advised by technical support at Sony that the integrated WiFi on my new KDL40HX753 smart TV is NOT compatible with Wirelss standard 802.11n. I find this advice hard to believe given that the user guides for the TV recommend using "n" if possible. I also have a copy of the independent compatibility certificate issued by the WiFi Alliance, clearly stating that it is compatible !

Is anyone else experiencing issues with wireless n on the current range of smart TVs ?

Can it really be true that the 2012 model range are not compatible with 802.11n ?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Stevelovaett,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Is your wireless router set to 2.4GHz or 5GHz.?

I had issues when my router was set to 5Ghz but I can confirm that I am able to connect to a bravia TV using a N capable router set at 2.4GHz..

Also I'm not sure who gave you the info but it states at the bottom of the imanual for your model to improve performance set your router to 802.1n if possible..

wireless.JPG

profile.country.en_GB.title
splovett
Visitor

Hi Thalamus, and thanks for the quick response.

I'm using a Draytek Vigor 2710n that only supports 2.4GHz. - no 5GHz option.

Sony first line support have advised me of the compatibility issue, having twice confirmed the position with their technical team. I first approached them about a month ago after trying for a fortnight to get a stable WiFi connection to my new TV and having identified that if I dropped my router back to "802.11g only" from "802.11g/n mixed" the link became stable.

Following discussion with Draytek, I have asked Sony to provide me with the detailed configuration of their built-in module but they appear to be unable, or unwilling, to provide it. As you are probably aware, there are a number of advanced configuration options for 802.11n, many of which I am able to adjust on my router, if a comparison of the detailed configurations showed a mis-match..

Thanks again.

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

Mixed g/n 2.4 GHz should work fine in my experience, although all my devices are running -n. The advance settings are mostly helpful if you are in a noisy or WiFi dense environment.