Join now - be part of our community!

Intermittent picture loss on BBC HD - 40HX723

profile.country.en_GB.title
Livermpj
Visitor

Intermittent picture loss on BBC HD - 40HX723

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a new 40HX723, and it's generally very good - but some BBC HD programmes are virtually un-watchable, as the screen often goes blank for about a second between scenes!

I've done a bit of reading and discovered this is a known issue with BBC HD broadcasts - I've also discovered the iManual recommends setting the TV to "optimise for text/graphics" instead of "optimise for video".

However, when "optimise for text/grtaphics" is selected, the picture resolution as not so good as the "optimise for video" setting - although it does seem to cure the picture loss problem.

Does anybody know what the "optimnise for text/graphics" setting actually does?

Presumably it modifies the video processing in some way, defaulting the output to a lower quality format (OK for text, but not great for pictures)?

Is there a proper fix for this issue in the pipeline (e.g. TV firmware update)?

Many thanks,

Pete.

15 REPLIES 15
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Pete

have you connected the device to the web and downloaded the latest firmware?

Thanks

Livermpj
Visitor

Hi,

Yes, the TV is connected to the web and it downloaded the latest firmware shortly after we bought it.

I've checked on the support page to be sure it has the latest version.

If I remember corectly, the firmware update was to improve the stability of iPlayer, or something similar.

As it stands, HD really isn't an enjoyable way to watch TV. In some programmes (e.g. Great British Bakeoff), the screen blanked regularly, at various points in the programme every 10 seconds or so!  VERY irritating....

We can marvel at the HD resolution, it's really very good in "optimise for video" mode, but we also bought the TV to watch programmes... which we can't in HD, unless we compromise the quality in "optimise for text" mode.

I hope there's some way of fixing this properly...

Thanks,

Pete.

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

It's an issue caused by Freeview using "dynamic switching" between interlaced and progressive signals within a programme. Enter "dynamic switching" into the search box on the Bravia forum homepage and follow the first thread that comes up. The issue is quite easy to fix!

Livermpj
Visitor

Hi Testcard,

Thanks for the  suggestion, but I'm afraid it doesn't fix the problem. The picture still blanks when the broadcast changes betwen 1080i & 1080p.

I've used the 'i' feature to display the info banner, and the blanking definately coincides with transitions between 1080 i & p.

My other half  just mentined there's another update waiting to be downloaded, it popped up today. I'll see what that does.

PS. I see Gruntfuttocks has exactly the same problem...

Cheers, Pete.

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

Worth a try, but sorry the fix doesn't work with your set. Obviously only works with earlier models. Hope a firmware update solves this issue once and for all.

Livermpj
Visitor

BBC HD still not fixed with the latest firmware update (downloaded last night).

However, after re-starting the TV, I did notice the screen option "Full Pixel" has disappeared.

Not really a problem for me, but I notice others do seem to use this mode. Perhaps the latest firmweare will cure the zoom issue?

Pete.

Gruntfuttocks
Visitor

Not fixed yet? That is a real disappointment. I have updated but not tested the issue yet on my 40HX723. As far as I know, the Full Pixel option is only something that you would need to connect a PC to the TV as it makes each PC pixel correspond to a screen pixel, thus avoiding blurring due to zooming. That used to be a feature worth looking for though as not all TVs have it. Consequently, some look terrible when connected to a PC.

Note that the 'optimise for text' mode is not a complete workround for the issue. The blanking period just gets a lot shorter (1 frame?) but is still very visible.

Message was edited by: Gruntfuttocks

Message was edited by: Gruntfuttocks

Bravia55HX

Hi guys,

thought i'd step in firstly with a small apology for thinking it was not a sony issue as i realised that since having a TiVo box installed it no longer happens (switching) it was then i realised it must be Sony's freeview tuners doing it, well to add further, since the latest update it has solved the problem and it no longer zooms in and out like it did!.

the thing with full pixel, those of you who have calibrated their sets using one of the calibration discs available would have noticed the disc instructing you to set to full pixel this is to give the best possible picture.i think its down to personal preference but i have noticed that in normal mode you seem to lose the edge of the picture as opposed to full pixel which lets you see the whole picture, a calibration disc will show you that.

anyway fingers crossed this latest firmware update is what we all needed to rid that dreadful switching.

Livermpj
Visitor

Best keep your fingers crossed a little longer I'm afraid...

The latest firmware PKG3.904EUA0104 doesn't fix the blank screen when HD broadcasts switch between 1080i/1080p.

I hope Sony can release a proper fix (not workaround) for this problem. I live in hope, as it's suposed to be an "HD TV".