Join now - be part of our community!

Is it possible to disable HDR on SONY XE7077SAEP and is Netflix app 24p capable?

profile.country.RO.title
ionutm80
Explorer

Is it possible to disable HDR on SONY XE7077SAEP and is Netflix app 24p capable?

Hello to all,

I've recently purchased a HDR enabled SONY KD-43XE7077SAEP. However to my unpleasant surprise the brightness of the panel used is not quite up to the task for HDR movies and when played either from Netflix or Amazon Video internal apps the image seems washed out as if you're looking through fogg. Hence I would like to know whether there is an option to completely disable HDR since the image looks worse than when watching 1080p movies with no HDR. The TV is running the BRAVIA sistem based on Linux and not ATV. I know that in Netflix player there is no option for that and the only solution for me if I cannot disable HDR would be to downgrade the Netflix subscription from UHD to HD!

Another question I have is whether the Netflix and Amazon app automatically switch to 24p or not. If I press the Info button with Netflix running I get stats from Netflix like resolution and bitrate and not the the screen info from the TV like I do when watching movies over DLNA hence I have no idea if the app switch the refresh to 23,976Hz or stay at 60Hz.   

Thanks a lot for any info on these 2 matters.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.PL.title
Agnieszka_J

@ionutm80

Hello, I have asked Sony Support for advice regarding your issues, we will let you know if any luck!

Best wishes,

Agnieszka_J

profile.country.RO.title
ionutm80
Explorer

Thanks, hardly waiting for your feedback!

profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi again,

Just to keep you updated - we've escalated your query to confirm whether this option is supported on your TV or not, and we'll be back in touch as soon as the Support Team has advised us on the investigation.

Thanks,

Owen

profile.country.PL.title
Agnieszka_J

Hello ionutm80,

We received feedback from our support team and to answer your question:

------------------------

there's no option on the TV to disbale the HDR picture mode while viewing HDR content from either appshe mentioned (Netflix and Amazon).

To elaborate, when it comes to Netflix -as you have mentioned already- there's no option to disable HDR on HDR to content but we found two workarounds that you can try:

1- Change the settings in the web browser, to reduce the available bandwidth, so that it will stream at 1080p.

2- Putting the subtitles in a semi transparent window (again, it must be done from the Web browser) may reduce the washed effect generally speaking.

Regarding Amazon video, when you start watching a video the TV automatically applies the best picture quality adjustments that would work with the TV and Internet connection. So again there's no option on the app to disable HDR for HDR content.

Moreover, regarding the automatic switching of the framerate, unfortunately this is up to the application developer for Netflix and Amazon, however, our sets will display the framerate that is received from the source.

----------------------

I hope this answers your question, let us know if any luck!

Best wishes,

Agnieszka_J