Join now - be part of our community!

Is this normal for the Sony Bravia 55W829?

SOLVED
DanWolf1989
Explorer

Is this normal for the Sony Bravia 55W829?

I received my new tv yesterday, all is fine and I'm really impressed apart from one thing which is a bit silly and hopefully it's something I can change.

Whilst watching the TV and for example I switch the PS3 on to stanby, the volume disappears off the TV, I need to switch the PS3 off at the plug and wait 10-15 seconds for the volume to come back on. I wanted to have the PS3 on just to charge a controller but I couldn't continue watching the TV. This doesn't strike me as being something normal but is it faulty or can I change some settings or this just what is supposed to happen?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

first of all you do not need both HDMI and Scart, so thats half the battle won, with regard to it switching to PS3 you can get round that in the menu by turning HDMI Control to off.

the freeview box sounds a bit dated if the only connector is scart, maybe try get a newer one with HDMI, i take it you do not have Sky or Virgin.

the issue of using freeview without a set top box will work by directly connecting the antennae cable to the tv and re tuning the tv, however you need to be sure your cable is sound and the aerial is a Digital one, if in any doubt replace it.

View solution in original post

Bravia55HX

Hi,

thats interesting, im not sure if  Quinnicus will say the same thing here but here goes, maybe try a factory re set  and try again, i cant work out why you cannot tune it as this is usually automatic but if your using a freeview box then this should just simply work as the channels are already tuned to it,

without actually looking at it its difficult to make an informed decision but from where i stand perhaps start again as suggested above, Factory re set, make sure your not in demo mode (not sure if that would affect this) and try with just your tv aeriel plugged in to the tv and tune it.

last but not leastly, have you checked your aeriel at all?, is it definately a digital one?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
DanWolf1989
Explorer

I'm also having problems with the picture quality, the first couple of days it was fine, a bit fuzzy when first turning it on but after a couple of minutes of what I assumed it was warming up it would be good, it was all fine and clear and then its gone a bit fuzzy, like poor quality. I thought maybe the broadband router or the freeview recorder was interfering so I moved both but it's still the same. It goes back to normal if I switch between TV and AV1 and then suddenly and seemingly randomly goes back to being poor quality.

I also cannot tune the TV without the freeview recorder as I noticed the freeview recorder is 50Hz but the TV is 200Hz? so does that mean the maximum output would be that of the freeview recorder?

I will give Sony a ring as I'm not happy but I was hoping some of you may be able to help as I don't want to go through all the fuss of getting a replacement but I can't find any fixes and not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

DanWolf1989
Explorer

The picture quality is fine for the PS3 games/blu rays, just watching TV it's poor quality but it was fine for the first couple of days and I also just noticed that it was when I plugged in the audio cables from the PS3 to the scart socket the volume from the TV disappeared.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

i dont know why your having problems like this already, picture quality out of the box is very good so i suggest going back to your connections and looking at those first, there's no need for a warm up phase on these tv's.

i also noted you say picture quality is fine using the PS3, i suggest you ditch the scart cable and use a HDMI then you will get more than "fine"!, scart is so old hat nowadays this may even solve your sound issue.

have you tried re tuning the freeview box?, you do not say what it is your using, generally speaking this should not be an issue either, just re check everything, use HDMI where you can and report back.

DanWolf1989
Explorer

First of all taking the scart out of the PS3 works, for some reason I thought I needed both HDMI and scart, I thought HDMI was just for picture and yes that's fixed the problem of the volume disappearing, it does still automatically switch to the PS3 I switch that on but I can live with that and it's probably normal.

I have just retuned the freeview box, still poor picture (it's just a bush 500GB freeview recorder) there is no HDMI port on the box so it's connected with a scart.

Just a thought but could the setup of the antenna cable from the wall socket to tv/ freeview box be a problem? Currently I have it from the wall to the box and to the tv but would it be different if I did it from the wall to the tv first and then to the box? I cannot try this at the moment as I'd need to buy a little adapter for one cable.

I'm having trouble tuning the TV without the freeview box connected to try and eliminate that, it takes ages searching but finds no channels

Bravia55HX

Hi,

first of all you do not need both HDMI and Scart, so thats half the battle won, with regard to it switching to PS3 you can get round that in the menu by turning HDMI Control to off.

the freeview box sounds a bit dated if the only connector is scart, maybe try get a newer one with HDMI, i take it you do not have Sky or Virgin.

the issue of using freeview without a set top box will work by directly connecting the antennae cable to the tv and re tuning the tv, however you need to be sure your cable is sound and the aerial is a Digital one, if in any doubt replace it.

DanWolf1989
Explorer

After a couple more days of use, that uselss scart in the PS3 seems to have solved picture quality and I've turned off the setting to automatically switch to HDMI when inserted/turned on.

I only have sky broadband/calls not sky TV or virgin and the freeview box is a few years old but not ancient but in terms of technology probably is.

The final thing bugging me is being unable to tune the TV itself, it's no needed as I'm watching freeview through the box and tuning through the box but if I turn the box off and put the antenna cable from the wall to the TV and try to tune it finds no channels and other things like i-Manual and a few other buttons I get the message ''Feature not available in current mode", I assume because using AV1 Input for watching TV and not the ''TV Input'' but whilst on TV input I cannot do anything.

DanWolf1989
Explorer

just thought to bring the TV out the bedroom to try, it's only used to watch dvds in bed, never been tuned to use tv or freeview, using the same socket and antenna cable as the new Sony. I didn't even need to tune it, the TV came on instantly, although I did retune and it found all channels... Surely my Sony must be faulty?

Bravia55HX

Hi,

thats interesting, im not sure if  Quinnicus will say the same thing here but here goes, maybe try a factory re set  and try again, i cant work out why you cannot tune it as this is usually automatic but if your using a freeview box then this should just simply work as the channels are already tuned to it,

without actually looking at it its difficult to make an informed decision but from where i stand perhaps start again as suggested above, Factory re set, make sure your not in demo mode (not sure if that would affect this) and try with just your tv aeriel plugged in to the tv and tune it.

last but not leastly, have you checked your aeriel at all?, is it definately a digital one?

DanWolf1989
Explorer

That's done it, I did factory reset and re tuned it and it's much better quality through the TV than watching through the freeview box which obviously isnt HD freeview so the only thing I need to do now is look for a suitable replacement freeview recorder with 500gb storage that connects via HDMI.

I'm very happy that the TV is not faulty and thank you so much for your help