Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-22EX320 HDD Registration problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
Erik_Carlson
Visitor

KDL-22EX320 HDD Registration problems

I am trying to register an external powered USB hard disk with a KDL-22EX320 TV so that I can enable recording. The specs say that it's compatible with drives up to 2TB and forum posts suggest that externally powered drives are best so I chose a 2TB Hitachi Drive.

The drive works fine on a computer. When I plug it into the TV the TV says first:

"USB device cannot be used for recording until it has been registered with the TV. Please sleect "HDD Registration" from Recording Set-up" menu"

So I do that and it says: "The HDD connected with USB port for recording was not able to be recognised. Please confirm the connection".

I have checked the connect. rebooted the TV, updated firmware to the latest version. Now I am stumped. What can I do please? Happy to post pictures of the errors if that helps.

Thanks

Erik

6 REPLIES 6
Bravia55HX

Hi,

sounds to me like you have not formatted the drive to FAT32 first.

Erik_Carlson
Visitor

Hi Bravia55HX923

Thanks for your reply,

The TV documentation says that the TV will format the drive and after that it will not be useable in a computer. You cannot put a FAT32 file system on a 2TB drive, it's too big. And for avoidance of doubt I am not trying to play other media stored on the drive I am trying to let the TV format it for exclusively recording freeview TV onto the the drive.

Do you have a drive connected to your TV for recording? if so what size is it please?

Thanks

Erik

Bravia55HX

we may have overlooked the issue of correct USB port, make sure its in the right one, i dont do HDD recording as i have a TiVo box however should i wish to do so my tv is clearly labeled USB2 HDD rec.

try this

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsonyci...

open in word.

i have since reading that document failed to understand why Sony have not ever commented on this particular issue in the past and made this more simpler for the novice and able alike to do.

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Erik_Carlson
Visitor

Thank,

I have seen that document (it is that which suggested the TV would re-format the drive) .

This TV has only one USB port so I must be using the right one i think.

Sony has since also replied to me as well to try formatting the drive as FAT32 first. I have found http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-large-hard-drive-fat-fat32/ which explains how to format an oversize like this with FAT32 so that's what I will try next.

I've also borred a smaller western digital drive. I should have some time to try this this week.

Thanks

Erik

Erik_Carlson
Visitor

I have tried this now,

If i format the 2TB drive as FAT32 first the TV sees it to photos and music on the drive but if I try to register it for recordings it fails.

If I borrowed a smaller western digital drive and that registered immediately.

It seems to me that Sony's claims that the TV supports drives up to and including 2TB are false.

Thanks

Erik

macorr
Explorer

i am having the same problem with my HDD registration and same messages. did you solve it?